Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Just a heads up for those thinking that "rm -rf *.exe" is a good idea...

C# based projects (including Beagle, F-Spot, and more here) are compiled to have a .exe extension. This will take out these applications as well as any virus files. Also, not all virus files have a .exe extension.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Frosti View Post
    Just a heads up for those thinking that "rm -rf *.exe" is a good idea...

C# based projects (including Beagle, F-Spot, and more here) are compiled to have a .exe extension. This will take out these applications as well as any virus files. Also, not all virus files have a .exe extension.
    Second that.
    Linux Hardware Boycott!
    How Many People Have you Converted To Linux?
    HD-DVD code:I cant tell you because I got an infraction for posting it here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
    This is a bit of an idle question, but I've been recieving some windows viruses through my email the last week or so, and I have them all lined up on my desktop like trophies, all decorated with emblems to make them look pretty, when it occured to me that they might actually do something if I ran them in Wine. Would anything happen do you think?
    LOL

Beans

Man, I think I'm gonna go re-install Wine to see if it will run any of the viruses I have lying around.

BTW. This story has been Dugg http://digg.com/linux_unix/What_woul...nux_using_wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've tried this couple of months ago. Can't remember what was the name of the virus but after I ran it in wine it sat in my systray and copied itself into few places. I found it afterwards with Clamav, luckily it was restricted to my wine folder. It was fun but I wouldn't try it again
    Ubuntu User #7196 | Linux User #425604 | www.robdian.co.uk
    1. Ubuntu 7.10 64bit, Core2Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM,
    2. Linux Mint/Windows XP, P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mistab1034 View Post
    So you people that have been running an anti-virus, is that a Linux side anti-virus or a anti-virus installed and running in wine? I find it interesting if a Linux side anti-virus finds wine'd windows viruses. But I also don't funny understand how wine works so I could be missing something.
    I'm running ClamAv native in Linux not under wine. I haven't used any wine programs since I discovered the virus, and have been scanning my system to get rid of it. If wine runs, it could potentially spread the virus again, and I would spend all this time scanning again.

Quote Originally Posted by cearum View Post
    I wonder what would happen if someone ran a virus using wine as root, with / mounted as a drive in wine. I have a free partition.... I'm tempted to try. Of course not mounting any other drives so it doesn't spread outside too far.
    Try it at your own risk. I assume that is would only be a bothersome problem and not a serious system threat. So far mine only created a bunch of viruses in many folders. I'm up to over 1,000 viruses that it created on my computer and still searching. I have 2 external hdd that were attached and mounted at the time so I'm scanning them as well. Very time consuming, but doesn't seem to be any damage.

Shane

Beans

I don't know if this will help much, but I would recommend the linux version of Avast anti-virus for the virus cleanup. I used it once to clean up a friends computer that wouldn't even boot!
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-for-l...rkstation.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by FullMetlaMonkey View Post
    I don't know if this will help much, but I would recommend the linux version of Avast anti-virus for the virus cleanup. I used it once to clean up a friends computer that wouldn't even boot!
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-for-l...rkstation.html
    Thanks! I will give it a try after I finish with ClamAv. I already have/had ClamAv. It seems to be doing the trick, however I will give Avast a try after ClamAv is done and see if it missed anything. Downloading it now.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

This just shows how great Wine is. Windows virii bust your PC, exactly as they would under Windows.

Beans

you should really check that wine only has the drive c before you do it, eg not the drive z that maps to the rest of your computer!
    Edward A Robinson -- www.earobinson.org

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast