Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Beans

Re: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
    Because wine runs Windows programs.. including viruses, trojans, worms, etc. I've been saying this for a while but no one listens, now we have proof. And, as you saw from an earlier post, those viruses, trojans, worms can wreak havoc in any folder in $HOME as well as system folders. If the infected user runs a virus within the sudo timeout of running a command with sudo, the virus can gain sudo privs. Think about it, if the user runs "sudo command", there is a certain amount of time that the sudo password is cached. If the user runs a virus that calls sudo within that sudo cache timeframe, then the virus can run "sudo rm -rf /" and that command will succeed because the virus is running as the sudo user with sudo privs:

This is why I say wine/cedega/cxoffice/other are bad things and should not be used at all. It wouldn't be hard (probably already been done) to write a keylogger into a Windows file and capture every keystroke you make and send all your personal info to a server where it is sold to the highest bidder. Some folks think that running Windows apps in wine offers them some layer of protection against bad Windows apps, but this is simply a myth.

I don't know about others, but the files in my $HOME are more important to me than the rest of the system. I won't ever use Windows files on any of my systems.. and now you see why.

I don't think a windows virus will contain *snip* since it is made for windows

but that could be if it is a cross platform virus
    Last edited by s.fox; November 17th, 2010 at 12:48 PM. Reason: removed command.

Re: What would happen if you ran a windows virus using Wine?

Necromancy. Thread Closed.

Last edited by s.fox; November 17th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213