Thread: virtualization

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

virtualization

I'm guessing that I'm totally missing something. Please explain virtualization to me.

This is my "idea" of what it is: I can run windows within linux.

All I need is a few programs out of windows: a couple of flash building progs (CoffeeCup), 3d graphics prog (Daz Studio and PSPx) and my billing/accounting software (QuickBooks). These are the only programs that I couldn't find compatible software in linux.

However, I am starting to see that maybe virtualization is being able to run windows from another location?

If the later is true, then do I need to install windows on another drive?

I used Crossover years ago, is that program still available LOL. Just a frustrated computer user right now. Not anything that linux or windows did to me - just my kids crashing my computer *read: trojan* and the fact that I have a silly T30 that doesn't recognize one of the memory slots anymore ($500+ to fix and appears to happen again later).

I have a fresh install of Gutsy on my laptop right now. I also have a MyBook usb hard drive that I can use. I also have a website that I can utilize if necessary. I just want to use Ubuntu as my main operating system but be able to access those other programs above at least once a day, without having to reboot. Windows takes forever to boot up on this computer!

Any help would be appreciated! I think this is what I get for not immediately removing windows from this laptop when I bought it and sticking with linux all along.

Kay

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: virtualization

It's in essence the ability to run an operating system on top of another.

You want to run windows on top of ubuntu. this means that you will need enough ram for BOTH and a new enough cpu that can page ram between the two operating systems.

The only problems is access to hardware, usb access is still primitive so windows can't access any usb hardware.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: virtualization

Thanks DoctorMO!

I have tried VirtualBox, that runs on here but not well. It ends up rebooting a lot (virtualbox, not linux), but can run some smaller graphic programs through it. I prefer VirtualBox simply because I can install from a shared folder, but it is apparently too heavy (memory) to run two o/s at a time on this sytem.

I finally got VMWare running. I found the step-by-step here on how to do it and it runs great and was so easy to install. Apparently I have to do everything the hard way first.

Once again, am running into the memory issue. It doesn't reboot, but acts like windows and stalls on me but will run more memory intensive programs like PSP12. Haven't tried Poser or Daz Studio.

I do appreciate you explaining the RAM deal. I don't know where my brain was on that one . Its going to be hard to do much of anything like that on this computer with only 512M of RAM for both systems to run at the same time. Painfully obvious and I didn't think of that.

Again, thank you so much for explaining this to me.

Kay