Thread: Post Office Broadband

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post Office Broadband

As this is the UK Team Forum, I guess this is the right place to post this. I don't really want to, as it doesn't seem like this particular board is visited all that often. But here goes anyway...

Anyone here used the Post Office Broadband service? Does the supplied router and everything work okay with Ubuntu? What's the actual service like - speeds, reliability, etc?

Here's hoping someone replies soonish...
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Post Office Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    As this is the UK Team Forum, I guess this is the right place to post this. I don't really want to, as it doesn't seem like this particular board is visited all that often. But here goes anyway...

Anyone here used the Post Office Broadband service? Does the supplied router and everything work okay with Ubuntu? What's the actual service like - speeds, reliability, etc?

Dont know anything about the service but I would advise you to use this site for advice on ISP's etc. Very good and helpful. lots of useful info.
    http://www.dslzoneuk.net/
    My experience generally is is dont go for a 12 month contract.Dont commit your self before you know what the service is going to be like. I am with Virgin non cable and it is terrible . They have a fair use policy which they say is unlimited download during off peak hours. This invariably means you cannot download anything after work ie between 4-1pm.If you do your speed is capped for a week .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: Post Office Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post

Yes i am on post office broadband and the supplied equipment does work ok with ubuntu the service is ok the speeds diepend where u live i get the full 8meg tha they supply here but dont mean every 1 will

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks mjtunes for the reply. Thanks also to bossa for the link. I'll check it out.

mjtunes: one more question. If I get the home phone and broadband service from the post office, does that also include line rental? Or do I still have to pay BT for the line?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

Beans

You are better off with virgin cable, cabl is always better than dsl....

...sorry more general than you where looking for but never had experience of PO BB but its another companies service that they resell....
    http://blog.shymbolic.com <-----made myself a blog now!