Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHOA, Firefox 3.0b4's speed is AMAZING

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

WHOA, Firefox 3.0b4's speed is AMAZING

I just got my Hardy update for Firefox 3.0b4, and the speedup leaves me speechless.

I am on 100mbit internet so most of my web browsing delays are in rendering time, and this release just makes Firefox FLY and feel like Safari or Opera, even better in many cases (i.e. heavy table sites)

I am right now merging my Firefox 3.0 beta3 packaging with the beta4 packaging in Hardy to generate some backports. Expect about 1 week total time between now and the availability of official firefox 3 beta 4 backports

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: WHOA, Firefox 3.0b4's speed is AMAZING

If it gets any faster, I'm going to need a seatbelt. 3.0b4 is really really cool!

Edit:

I'm on a 10/1 connection.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; March 15th, 2008 at 01:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

WHOA, none of my favourite extensions work in Firefox 3.0b4! It's too bad. If they did, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can't expect your plugins to work in a beta piece of software really though.
    It'd be nice don't get me wrong, but it's just not gonna happen

Also jdong, is the Firefox 3 b4 going in Hardy's backports or Gutsy backports?

I can't wait til the final release of FF3 It's already better than FF2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    You can't expect your plugins to work in a beta piece of software really though.
    It'd be nice don't get me wrong, but it's just not gonna happen
    Right, currently it's still a beta and until the API finalizes (i.e. release candidate stage) no responsible plugin developer should mark their extension Firefox 3 compatible.

Also jdong, is the Firefox 3 b4 going in Hardy's backports or Gutsy backports?
    It will be in Gutsy backports and is already in Hardy final. In fact, I am building its backport locally right now for testing (I've spent the time since my original post working on that)

These backports take a lot of my time to put together because I need to sift through the Hardy changes very carefully -- I want the Firefox 3.0b4 backport to install side-by-side with Firefox 2.0 on Gutsy and for the profiles to be safely duplicated rather than clobbered.

In other words, install Firefox 3 to play with it, and it'll work on a copy of your profile. Don't like it? Uninstall it and Firefox 2 and your Firefox 2 settings are untouched.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by picpak View Post
    WHOA, none of my favourite extensions work in Firefox 3.0b4! It's too bad. If they did, I'd switch in a heartbeat.
    http://lifehacker.com/355973/make-yo...firefox-3-beta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sure jdong I can understand that

I have Firefox 3 running from ~/firefox I changed the shortcuts in the menu's to point to that instead of Firefox 2, so if I ever want Firefox 2, I just run firefox from a terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Final warning: These changes may lead to unexpected wacky behavior. Proceed at your own risk!
    Heed that warning from the site. Make a backup of your ~/.mozilla before doing this, lest be locked out from a crash-on-startup Firefox and be forced to take a lesson in editing firefox config with a text editor.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is that a really a wise idea? To just hack it to work like that? I can see there being unwanted side effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by picpak View Post
    Is that a really a wise idea? To just hack it to work like that? I can see there being unwanted side effects.
    When it don't fit, defeat all safety features and make it fit

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast