Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Linux Users technically superior to Windows only users??

Beans

Wink Are Linux Users technically superior to Windows only users??

I remember at college there were 2 camps - Linux and Windows. The Linux camp was the more vocal and sarcastic, priding itself as the more technically superior. Oddly, they used to prove this on every opportunity that presented itself. Including scoring higher marks in practical subjects. The funny thing was, they Linux group would even claim that they can beat the Windows group even on MS issues!! Because I do not want to generalise based on a single incident, the question is,

Is it true that Linux users are technically superior, not just on Linux issues, but general ICT issues, compared to Windows only users????

Re: Are Linux Users technically superior to Windows only users??

Is it true that Linux users are technically superior, not just on Linux issues, but general ICT issues, compared to Windows only users????
    At that school that would be true then, but that may not be true in the now or in the future.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Is a Ferrari mechanic technically superior to a Ford mechanic? I think you will find the answer is that individuals have a skill set and that they make best use of those skills. I know some very knowledheable Windows users who could run rings around most Linux/Windows users.
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans

Linux users tend to be more computer "savvy" than the average windows users, but there are a huge number of power users on windows to.

Beans

Yes, we are. Microsoft is evil, its users are sheep and OSS rocks my socks.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Neither camp is superior to the other.

If you believe that one is better than the other then you are showing an elitist attitude that hinders relations between the two camps.

I sincerely believe that everyone has their own set of computer skills. Perhaps they lie in Linux/Open source software. Good for you, use them! Many have skills in Windows. Use them! Some might even have skills in both Linux and Windows. Maybe even AIX Unix! If so, use them! But stop putting down other people for where their skills lie.

-Richard
    I use both Windows and Linux. Is that a crime? || Ubuntu User # 16597

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    Maybe that was once the case, and even then, using Linux wouldn't automatically make you "more knowledgeable abot ICT', but the other way around - being interested in ICT would lead you to start using Linux (although using Linux, especially 10 years or so ago, would help you learn stuff as well).

Nowadays, and looking at these forums, I don't think Linux users are "by definition" technically superior, not just on Linux issues, but general ICT issues. There's plenty of proof here that people use linux without even the faintest knowledge of basic networking, or what an operating system actually is or what it does, or that there is a big difference between a modem and a router, and so on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

The majority of Linux users are tech savvy, because you normally have to know quite a bit to get Linux up and running, unless you have a machine that'll work perfectly with it (ala Dell)

However, power users on Windows are quite a small percentage compared to how many people have Windows.

There are some very smart Windows users, but in general, most Windows users don't know a whole lot about their computers. So it's just one big (albeit somewhat true) stereotype.

Beans

I believe that Linux requires a LOT more learning to become proficient at it. Due to the fact that most general users are intimidated by that, I feel like the ones who are brave enough to use linux are the ones who have the ability to learn more and retain more about computers.

Percentage wise (since there are obviously a hell of a lot of more Windows users) I believe that Linux users are generally more talented then Windows users. But keep in mind, your grandmother buys a computer this year and what's she going to be using? Windows. So the percentage really does come into play here.

A school situation is too enclosed to provide a proper example.

I would use linux, but I like my Video games and my web editors and all of that. I of course could use linux too but I usually don't have a lot of time on my hands to sit there and deal with two operating systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by marimo View Post
    Generalizations like this are (almost) never true.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast