Thread: Re: Did having Firefox preinstalled matter to you? -- Issues

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Did having Firefox preinstalled matter to you? -- Issues

Seriously, people cannot turn their brains on/off so how could it be offensive? Thats like saying pull the bottle out of your ear - it is a funny way of calling attention to something.

A user who cannot 'get the point' or forum staff who cannot 'get the point' - which is more dangerous?

I often do not 'get things' until someone tells me to 'wake up' or 'turn my brain on' or 'earth to dean' or 'think about it this way' so I was just issuing a general call to 'wake up' or 'turn your brain on' and to realize that you operate similar (but different) stuff all the time and there is nothing uncomfortable about it.

People cannot turn their brains on and off so it is obviously not a insult, it is simply a funny way of saying 'turn the lights on upstairs' or 'look at it this way'

I seen someone mention fake ***** on these forums. Are they insulting everyone with real *****? Are they insulting everyone with fake *****? Are they just saying something in a silly way?

I just got a new cellphone and I was not 'eased' into the 'transition' and I still felt comfortable. Same goes for many many MANY things that we transition to...

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!

wow I got my own thread.... COOL

This is the supposed insulting part
    To help 'ease' the transition. Comforting? People should wake the freak up and realize that one burning program is similar to another, one browser is similar to another, etc... Turn your brain on and realize that a button may be different, one may call it reload and the other call it refresh, one may use tabs and the other seperate windows but it is NOT any different than the windshield wiper stick that varies from one car to another and takes about a second to figure out what it does.
    I think the following is all I can say about it...
    People cannot turn their brains on and off so it is obviously not a insult, it is simply a funny way of saying 'turn the lights on upstairs' or 'look at it this way'

So if I said 'think about this for a minute' or 'thik about it this way' would that also be insulting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Believe me, some of the things I see around the 'net really make me wonder if there's some hidden off switch I don't know about.

But all joking aside, I think the concern with your wording was your use of second-person pronouns made it seem like you were aiming the statement as an inflammatory attack towards a particular person or group of people sharing some opinion. I don't know if that was your intention or not (I'd like to think the latter), but please try to word your statements more clearly in a debate-oriented thread such as the one you were participating in, as posts in such threads are more likely to be taken offensively if wording is ambiguous.