Thread: Run linux VM from a usb, w/ vm software installed on usb?

Beans

Run linux VM from a usb, w/ vm software installed on usb?

I'm looking to run Ubuntu or another distro off a USB drive. However, I don't want to reboot and boot off the USB drive.

I also cannot install vmware, qemu, virtualbox or any other virtualization software on the host machine (windows).

So, can I somehow get Vmware, Qemu, or virtualbox, or some other virtualization software installed on the usb drive to run inside windows and then either boot the vm off a live cd or a vm image on the same usb drive?

The reason I can't install the virtualization software on the host pc is that it's a work computer, and I cannot install non-aproved software.

I'm really not looking for anything robust, just a distro that I can use to play with perl on, but inside a vm, but the vm software must be installed and run off the usb.

Is this possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Run linux VM from a usb, w/ vm software installed on usb?

Quote Originally Posted by joeca0304 View Post
    I'm looking to run Ubuntu or another distro off a USB drive. However, I don't want to reboot and boot off the USB drive.

I also cannot install vmware, qemu, virtualbox or any other virtualization software on the host machine (windows).

So, can I somehow get Vmware, Qemu, or virtualbox, or some other virtualization software installed on the usb drive to run inside windows and then either boot the vm off a live cd or a vm image on the same usb drive?

The reason I can't install the virtualization software on the host pc is that it's a work computer, and I cannot install non-aproved software.

I'm really not looking for anything robust, just a distro that I can use to play with perl on, but inside a vm, but the vm software must be installed and run off the usb.

Is this possible?
    Hi joe. I don't know if that's what you are looking for: http://erikveenstra.nl/qemupuppy/index.html

It boots off the USB, starts a QEMU with your favourite OS inside. Didn't tried it but seems what you want.