Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: php wysiwyg editor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

php wysiwyg editor

I am looking for what the title suggests for my website. It would be nice to have an interface only as good as Kompozer. (Not much, just the abilty to see what I am doing)

Anyway, the only post I saw about this recommended Kompozer, but it does not support PHP.

Does anyone know something I dont? (something useful)

Thanks in advance.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?" --Alice in Wonderland

If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it.

Beans

Re: php wysiwyg editor

PHP is for logic, not design. How would a WYSIWYG editor be useful for PHP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Are you looking for an IDE (development environment) to speed up your PHP development? I know Eclipse has a PHP plugin from Zend, but I think you have to pay for it. I seem to remember several free PHP IDEs and frameworks that could help you out as well -- I'll have to find the names of them again.

Can't beat a text editor and php.net though

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you're looking for an editor to place in a webpage, I usually use FCKeditor. It's a rich-text editor that integrates well into any website. It requires JavaScript and jQuery to work. It replaces <textarea> elements with the text editor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well HTML editors allow for you to place images, why cant a good HTML WYSIWYG support PHP? You could then build php pages with HTML in them and see what is happening.

It could have an area to ask what the unknown variables are. It could fix many a logical error. Right now I change the php and refresh the page, so its kinda like a WYSIWYG built in.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the Unicorn, "if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you. Is that a bargain?" --Alice in Wonderland

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oneadvent View Post
    Well HTML editors allow for you to place images, why cant a good HTML WYSIWYG support PHP? You could then build php pages with HTML in them and see what is happening.

It could have an area to ask what the unknown variables are. It could fix many a logical error. Right now I change the php and refresh the page, so its kinda like a WYSIWYG built in.
    I really don't understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess you want to see something like a real preview of the php file on execution with all the colors/bold/etc.

You should start with an html file with all the proper styling and later, adding the php sections.

I have apache2 installed with php and mysql running on my desktop, it allows me to see the progress of php sites even with different OSes and navigators on the network, I know this is not what you want, but it's pretty close.
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

exactly except with one ui like kompozer.

the HTML idea is a good one, but then when I want to add forms in php it gets....trying....

You know a plugin for PHP for Kompozer would be perfect. Hummm...well I guess I am getting the job done now, it would just be nice to have something like Dreamweaver for Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oneadvent View Post
    it would just be nice to have something like Dreamweaver for Linux
    Yes, that's it.. I knew this was coming.
    Dreamweaver shows you can indeed WYSIWYG-design using php, and for designers feeling at home in DW there is just no alternative..
    Trust me.. you're not going to get a lot of understanding in the tux-world I'm afraid.
    If you're most productive using Dreamweaver, go dual-boot or setup a Windows-machine.

Beans

I've never used Dreamweaver, but it sounds like you want some sort of dynamic code generator/debugger. Probably, the Linux programmers who are good enough to write something like that are also good enough to be using some language other than PHP, and wouldn't be interested in fighting PHP's poor design decisions to make a program they'd never use.

Besides, if you structure your PHP code properly, you can abstract away most of the tedious bits. For example, when I'm forced to write PHP, I generally use the Code Igniter framework, which tames the beast quite a bit--especially forms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast