View Poll Results: What effect did Firefox preinstallation have on you?

Voters
247. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer another browser and hated having Firefox there

5 2.02%
  • I prefer another browser and was annoyed Firefox was there

14 5.67%
  • I prefer another browser and didn't mind having Firefox there

19 7.69%
  • I prefer another browser and liked having Firefox there

12 4.86%
  • I prefer another browser (other opinion on Firefox by default)

0 0%
  • I prefer Firefox but thought it odd it was there by default

6 2.43%
  • I prefer Firefox and didn't mind it being there by default

89 36.03%
  • I prefer Firefox and it eased my transition from Windows

66 26.72%
  • I prefer Firefox (other opinion on it being there by default)

29 11.74%
  • Other opinion entirely (please explain)

7 2.83%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Did having Firefox preinstalled matter to you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Did having Firefox preinstalled matter to you?

I strongly prefer Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by souneedalink View Post
    transition from windows...isn't that a bit over dramatic. I mean, it isn't like 'blast from the past' or austin powers being warped into the 90s or anything. I mean, maybe a caveman could not transition easily but anyone that has used a computer cannot have transition issues. I think people blow that way out of proportion.

My kids transitioned without even knowing there was anything to transition to.... You click, you use, you close with the X. Not sure what something is, hover the pointer over it and it will tell you.

transition issues - the new overblown excuse why people aren't flocking to linux
    I love it...
    There's a reason why your kids were able to transition from Windows to Ubuntu -- they're kids. They haven't used Windows for the number of years that we have. We get used to a particular user interface, then when it changes, we need to learn to get used to it -- I believe that's a transition? Installing things on Windows is different than doing an apt-get on Linux. So learning to use apt-get instead of double clicking an icon is, well, a transition. I don't see why you're saying that there is no transition issues whatsoever when there obviously is. It just might be we're using different definitions of transition but I'm using the one from the dictionary. What about you?

Beans

My kids transitioned without even knowing there was anything to transition to.... You click, you use, you close with the X. Not sure what something is, hover the pointer over it and it will tell you.
    I have said it before and I shall say it again: you cannot use kids as an example on how easy something tech-related it, because kids are the most tech-savvy people there is - they're practically born with a keyboard glued to their hands and a modem up their- (um, you get the point). When talking about computers and saying "Kids could do this", what you're really implying is "This is something so complicated and technical that only a kid could do it".

If you want to test how easy something computer-related is or isn't, test it on your grandma, or some other elderly folks. That'll give you a clue very quickly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I find that some people advocating for Epiphany are selfish and think that is best for them should be the default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I prefer Firefox and it eased my transition from Windows
    Not so much because it was a 'familiar app" - the difference between epiphany and firefox would be small to me : they have a quasi-identical menu bar, a toolbar, bookmarks, and an address field, and that's all I use. They're so similar that one could easily mistake a FF window wit an epiphany window.

But I was happy to find that I could copy my FF profile from Windows to Ubuntu so that made for a smooth migration. Maybe I don't lnow if that would have been possible with epipahny as well, I never checked.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by rune0077 View Post
    I have said it before and I shall say it again: you cannot use kids as an example on how easy something tech-related it, because kids are the most tech-savvy people there is - they're practically born with a keyboard glued to their hands and a modem up their- (um, you get the point). When talking about computers and saying "Kids could do this", what you're really implying is "This is something so complicated and technical that only a kid could do it".

If you want to test how easy something computer-related is or isn't, test it on your grandma, or some other elderly folks. That'll give you a clue very quickly
    uh my kids are 13 and 7 and have basic knowledge of how to operate a computer, they are not techno whiz kids or anything. At most they get one hour of game/funtime a day and they can choose the computer or gamecube and it is usually the gamecube. They are also allowed to use the computer for homework and I think my son may have used it twice for that.

I also have my mother using linux. She clicks on the browser (whatever that may be) and she uses the back forward buttons and the address bar and the X in the corner to close it.

She also managed to go from driving a chevy cavalier to a ford taurus without crashing and burning.

If you know the basics of computers then you shoud have no problem using either IMO. If you don't then using any OS is scary.

But epiphany rocks either way!

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you'll have problems when you switch cellphones? microwaves? alarm clocks? cars? Do you feel uncomfortable? Do you need to be eased into the transition? Isn't that part of what is cool about something new, it is similar but different. It doesnt have to be exactly the same to be familiar.

I guess we should make gnome and kde look exactly alike so we can ease people thru the hard transition.

I think people would find epiphany to be....well...a epiphany....especially the bookmarks. Awesome!

Beans

uh my kids are 13 and 7 and have basic knowledge of how to operate a computer, they are not techno whiz kids or anything. At most they get one hour of game/funtime a day and they can choose the computer or gamecube and it is usually the gamecube. They are also allowed to use the computer for homework and I think my son may have used it twice for that.

I also have my mother using linux. She clicks on the browser (whatever that may be) and she uses the back forward buttons and the address bar and the X in the corner to close it.

She also managed to go from driving a chevy cavalier to a ford taurus without crashing and burning.

If you know the basics of computers then you shoud have no problem using either IMO. If you don't then using any OS is scary.

But epiphany rocks either way!
    I was just saying that your kids have been born into a world of computers and cellphones, so trying out new technologies and figuring them out, is part of their daily lives and no big deal to them. Kids get a new cellphone every other year, so they're used to experimenting with new applications, new buttons, etc, etc. They're not a good example.

As for Epiphany vs. Firefox ... nah, I couldn't tell, I've never used Epiphany, nor do I intend to. I like Firefox and I like it was preinstalled on Ubuntu, but I'm sure I would have survived if it hadn't been there (I had to install it myself on Windows as well).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

MY first experience with open source and Free Software was Firefox. When I learned about Ubuntu through a Cnet video I decided to give it a try. The fact that the familiar Firefox was on there really made me feel more comfortable Using Ubuntu and it was one less new thing I had to learn in order to make the transition.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was just saying that your kids have been born into a world of computers and cellphones, so trying out new technologies and figuring them out, is part of their daily lives and no big deal to them. Kids get a new cellphone every other year, so they're used to experimenting with new applications, new buttons, etc, etc. They're not a good example.
    and everyone else lives in that same world... My kids dont have cellphones. Do not know what facebook or myspace is. I often have to explain how to do anything on a computer beyond very basic usage - the basic knowledge they have served them just as well on linux as it did on windows.

My mom switches cellphones every year or so and manages that too...

As for Epiphany vs. Firefox ... nah, I couldn't tell, I've never used Epiphany, nor do I intend to. I like Firefox and I like it was preinstalled on Ubuntu, but I'm sure I would have survived if it hadn't been there (I had to install it myself on Windows as well).
    Did you need IE on linux to help ease the transition? Didn't you get confused when you seen the little fox instead of the blue e? How uncomfortable were you.

Seriously, if you have never REALLY tried epiphany you should. Especially the bookmarks. It is sort of like 'tags' for posts except you create topics and you can access them by typing in the topic in the address bar. Epiphany also seems lighter to me but I havent ran firefox for a long while. Once you get an epiphany....

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast