Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CAD for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: CAD for Linux

Ohh, QCAD looks sweet, thanks for mentioning it!

I am currently downloading it through Synpatic in Breezy, when it's done, I shall tell you guys how it works. In fact, it might even be available through the add/remove applications thingie in Breezy . . .

Ok, I just finished installing it, QCad is available through Synaptic. I haven't a clue how to use it, but I think some time and trial and error will solve that . . .
    My System | Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04) | AMD Athlon 1700+ | 1.3Gb RAM | 160 Gb HD | nVidia GeForce4 64 Mb
    V.I.S.T.A | Viruses | Infections | Spam | Trojans | Adware
    Proud to be Canadian, eh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by phen
    dunno how much money you wanna spend, but i think CATIA is available for linux, too

there is one running on solaris (might work with other nixes): CADDS

CATIA just ended support for Unix (HP Solaris, no linux) systems with V5r15.
    They are going windows only from now on.

I do have it running under VmWare however it leaves something to be desired.

This is one of those cases that I had to build a windows box to run it along with all the bells & whistles of the ultimate gamming machine, that was fun....

There really is nothing as far as CAD for linux that can be used in a production environment, simple, very simple tasks yes.

Wish there was a better answer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

for professional grade CAD and meshing software you should take a look at OpenCascade and Salome-Platform. fully compatible with linux and backed by industrial consortia for good measure. They work very well and compare quite favorably with proprietary stuff. There's also BRL-CAD (US army product) which has a flavor of its own.

Z.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Wide
    CATIA just ended support for Unix (HP Solaris, no linux) systems with V5r15.
    They are going windows only from now on.

I do have it running under VmWare however it leaves something to be desired.

This is one of those cases that I had to build a windows box to run it along with all the bells & whistles of the ultimate gamming machine, that was fun....

There really is nothing as far as CAD for linux that can be used in a production environment, simple, very simple tasks yes.

Wish there was a better answer
    Same as Unigraphics are ending Unix support, such a shame as I have used the package in VMS, Unix and Windows and in all environments it was comparable and equally capable. Have used Catia, Inventor and ProE in Windows only and wish that they would back track to *nix.

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Personaly Im not a great fan of QCAD, but am still in the process of testing others. Im studing to be arch technologist, so if any of you are one or an architect please tell me if you have found a good tool for making blue prints and 3d renderings of both interiors and exterirors of buildings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by eMuNiX
    Same as Unigraphics are ending Unix support, such a shame as I have used the package in VMS, Unix and Windows and in all environments it was comparable and equally capable. Have used Catia, Inventor and ProE in Windows only and wish that they would back track to *nix.

One good thing about the new V5r16, it has native 64 bit support, really snappy for those big projects, It uses half the memory.

Sweet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12