Thread: Virtualbox and separate partitions?

Beans
    Hidden!

Virtualbox and separate partitions?

Hi, maybe this question is asked many times before, but I couldn't find any info about it.
    So, to put it simple - I have installed Virtualbox. Do I need to repartition my hard drive and create a separate partition (for instance 20GB), in which I will run the virtualizations? Or do I just select "fixed-size-20GB", without creating a separate partition? If so, how would Virtualbox use these 20 GB - will it use it like any other data (for instance, 20GB documents etc.)? So is installing a new OS in Virtualbox just like an installation of a new program - but one with 20GB size?
    Also, how many virtualizations may I have running? I'd like to test Solaris, BSD, etc. As I understand it, will I need to uninstall Solaris, for to be able to try FreeBSD afterwards, and then uninstall FreeBSD for to be able to run Archlinux afterwards, or can they exist together?
    Last edited by cdiem; March 12th, 2008 at 12:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Virtualbox and separate partitions?

Do I need to repartition my hard drive and create a separate partition?
    - No. A virtual disk is a file.

How would Virtualbox use these 20 GB - will it use it like any othe data?
    - Like I said, it's just a file. As such, all files stored inside the VM will be stored within that 20GB.

How many virtualizations may I have running?
    - That depends on your computer's resources. If you have a lot of RAM, and a very fast CPU, you can run multiple VMs at the same time. However, if you have barely enough to run 1 VM at a time, that does not mean that you need to uninstall an operating system to install the next. You can have multiple VMs, just not running simultaneously. Think about it like a bunch of computers wired up to a single power socket, but the power socket only has enough power to turn on one at a time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Virtualbox and separate partitions?

Thank you very much!