Thread: can't remove wine-0.9.49

Beans

can't remove wine-0.9.49

hi,
    I have removed wine using the package manager and also removed it in the terminal to make sure it was completely gone (using sudo apt-get remove) and even deleted the .wine folder. when I try to remove it in terminal, i get a message saying there is no application to remove, so it all seemed well.
    Well, when i type "wine --version" it says "wine-0.9.49" (i thought i removed it!?) Perplexed, i installed the newest version using the package manager. and when i checked the version again, it still says it's version 0.9.49. It seems no matter what i do, i still have version 9.49. Any help on how to get rid of this and get the newest version would be appreciated. I've tried purging it and updating it too, as was suggested in other forums. No Luck. I'm using Gusty Ubuntu.
    -emu5088

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: can't remove wine-0.9.49

Is there anything you need to autoremove?

sudo apt-get autoremove

You can find out where the actual executable you are using is located by typing:

which wine

That will echo the absolute path of the "wine" command, or whatever one it can find in its path.

Finally, after you know where that is, update your indexing database:

sudo updatedb

Then locate all instances of wine:

locate wine

Delete everything you see that involves wine. (Please be careful here.)

Then install wine, either with the ones in aptitude (which should install 0.9.57) or go get the actual source from http://www.winehq.com and build it yourself.
    bigubuntu: amd 900 256mb ram 540gb hd ubuntu 7.10
    bigdesktop: intel 2.2 512md ram 80gb hd ubuntu 8.04
    bigmapper: intel 2.4 1gb ram 60gb hd ubuntu 8.10
    bigtoughbook: intel 3.12 core duo 1.5gb ram 80gb hd xp

Beans

Re: can't remove wine-0.9.49

hey,
    I did everything you said and it worked! Thanks a bunch.
    Will I have to do this for almost all other programs I wish to uninstall, to make sure everything is gone?
    -emu5088