Thread: Central Jersey LUG?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Smile Central Jersey LUG?

Hi everyone-

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu [I've had it for 1+ yr, but haven't used it to code any of my own programs or anything other than ssh] and very new to the forums. I'm going to school at Tufts University and was inducted as the president of our campus Linux Users Group [longgg story!]. Anyway, I come home during the summers and was wondering what kinds of events go on in my good old home state! I live near Toms River [Ocean County].

I've also kind of noticed the thread hasn't been quite so popular lately, so I'm wondering what might be up.

Thanks!

-Melissa

p.s. i'm hosting a school-wide installfest next month. i've never attended an install-fest before, and this is also sort of different since it's mostly Tufts newbies that are curious. But if anyone has any installfest tips, PLEASE message me or reply to this thread! i will take all the help i can get!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Central Jersey LUG?

wassup Melissa,
    I'm Drew. I've used Ubuntu for about three years, lovin every minute of it
    A friend of mine (Joseph Terronova) runs some of the events in New Jersey; we have occasional LAN parties down in Cherry Hill. They recently had an event in Trenton too. His website is http://www.joeterranova.net/ contact him about the mailing list so you're updated about the events.

Take care,
    -Drew

edit: here's the addy for signing up for the mailing list:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-nj
    Last edited by run1206; May 1st, 2008 at 05:47 AM. Reason: mailing list signup page added
    Welcome to the world of Open Source!!!
    Linux User #471120 Ubuntu User #21997
    Jaunty Jackalope 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

thanks for getting back to me Drew! I will definitely contact Joe.

-Melissa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sadly, the Jersey Loco forum isn't all that active. Never really THAT many things going on, seems like a lack of motivation. I guess most people only come to the forums when they need help, or want to pass the time. Hope your install-fest went well, they usually have the tendancy to get stressful. Anyway, im just wasting time before work. Enjoy yourself, and welcome to the forums.
    Fluxbox, PHP, CLI, Donuts and Chocolate Milk. All i need to say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by #Reistlehr- View Post
    Sadly, the Jersey Loco forum isn't all that active. Never really THAT many things going on, seems like a lack of motivation. I guess most people only come to the forums when they need help, or want to pass the time. Hope your install-fest went well, they usually have the tendancy to get stressful. Anyway, im just wasting time before work. Enjoy yourself, and welcome to the forums.
    i guess if there was a way to get more people informed about Ubuntu (and get the ones who do use it more active) we might get a bigger turnout. i remember going to the installfest in NYC a few years ago; surprisingly alot of people came out. hopefully we have another event like that again soon.

i wish i went to that event Joe had recently in Princeton oh well... now that school's out, i'll be able to come out to the events more often.
    Welcome to the world of Open Source!!!
    Linux User #471120 Ubuntu User #21997
    Jaunty Jackalope 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just want to follow up, and clear up some misconceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by melrom
    Anyway, I come home during the summers and was wondering what kinds of events go on in my good old home state! I live near Toms River [Ocean County].
    We'll probably be having an installfest in Central Jersey, and we'll be having a BBQ/LAN Party, probably in South Jersey. You can get updates on that on the mailing list, and on our website. In regards to your topic title (Central Jersey LUG?), that would be LUG/IP, which meets in Lawrenceville.

Quote Originally Posted by #Reistlehr-
    Sadly, the Jersey Loco forum isn't all that active. Never really THAT many things going on, seems like a lack of motivation. I guess most people only come to the forums when they need help, or want to pass the time.
    We're not active on the forums, but we are active. The problem is that we're not regular on the forums, and the forums don't provide me with much notification that someone has posted here. Most of our discussion happens on our mailing list. I've posted this topic, which should hopefully clarify things for visitors. In summary, sign up for the mailing list!