Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart ends test of Linux in stores

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

walmart cans Everex/Linux PC's

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/...LvFBq951as0NUE

Not enough interest from customers? Or is it that the PC's they chose were garbage?
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

Re: walmart cans Everex/Linux PC's

I am thinking people that didn't know about Linux bought them and couldn't figure them out.

Linux is still not ready for the average user. Even Mark Shuttleworth has said this. They seemed to sell very well because of the price, but if the user doesn't understand what Linux can and can't do then they are going to be disappointed and return them.

One day a distro will figure out how to make Linux more like OS X and it will have a chance.

On the other hand it says Linux sales online will continue. And the EEEPC seems to be doing well since it includes alot of proprietary stuffs and an easy to use interface.

But even that is getting xp as an option now so people will probably gravitate towards the XP version
    Last edited by jrusso2; March 11th, 2008 at 03:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well they are still selling the gPC online, and the new cloudbook...
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...zQxvgD8VAQTSG0
    Always,
    John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by jflaker View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080310/...LvFBq951as0NUE

Not enough interest from customers? Or is it that the PC's they chose were garbage?
    A bit of both if you ask me. Linux is NOT ready for the masses as far as I am concerned. Personally, I steer folks tired of XP/Vista towards Mac's instead of Linux.
    I do, so others may fly.
    You can buy carbon credits, but not common sense.
    Losing faith in humanity one person at a time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As far as my masses are concerned, they can watch youtubes, write papers, and chat on im's fine, so I steer them towards linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I live in rural Pennsylvania and only have a few places to shop. Walmart, being one of them.......I have been in their store and have not seen the system at all. If they do have it, it is neither prominently displayed nor is there a demonstration unit set up.

MARKETING? None that I know of unless you read the techie news and blogs that said they were going to start selling them, then that they were selling them, now they are discontinuing them..............They weren't in my store's location that I know of.........and I hang out in that section of the store while the wife shops.

Some things sell themselves, like food and necessities......with computer systems, there needs to be more effort in show and tell, aka, Marketing. A prominent working demo unit would probably have made for more sales
    Before Executing commands, understand WHAT you are doing and WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO DO THAT. Some Commands can be VERY dangerous if you are uninformed!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jflaker View Post
    I live in rural Pennsylvania and only have a few places to shop. Walmart, being one of them.......I have been in their store and have not seen the system at all. If they do have it, it is neither prominently displayed nor is there a demonstration unit set up.

MARKETING? None that I know of unless you read the techie news and blogs that said they were going to start selling them, then that they were selling them, now they are discontinuing them..............They weren't in my store's location that I know of.........and I hang out in that section of the store while the wife shops.

Some things sell themselves, like food and necessities......with computer systems, there needs to be more effort in show and tell, aka, Marketing. A prominent working demo unit would probably have made for more sales
    I happened to be in Wal-Mart one day (a rare event) so I decided to check that part of the store out (come to think of it, that was the only part of the store...) and I didn't see any trace of them either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yea but it does work. I watch youtube. Listen to music. And so on with 0 problems.
    "Courage will be your best defense against this evil that marshals before us" Gandalf the white

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Walmart really should of marketed this...
    I hope they adopt the Shuttle kpc though, it definitely looks more promising than the gPC...
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    As far as my masses are concerned, they can watch youtubes, write papers, and chat on im's fine, so I steer them towards linux.
    Exactly what I was thinking. It works for me as well. The reason why Walmart withdrew is probably because they were dumb and had no idea what the hell they were doing. People MUST have been buying these computers - but the people buying probably didn't know what Linux was. I think it's safe to dump the failure onto Walmart for not clearly stating that Linux is a totally different OS.

Then again, I know nothing about this story and thus am unable to give an accurate opinion.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast