Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mythtv 0.21 packages for gutsy

Beans

Re: mythtv 0.21 packages for gutsy

The protocol mismatch presumably means that you need to upgrade mythweb to the new version.

Beans

I agree. I checked the verison numbers of the various myth* packages and found that an older libmyth-0.20 was still installed, so I removed it, and then re-installed mythweb. It looks like mythweb reinstalled libmyth-0.20. Here's the list of packages I have installed:

Code:
    root@xw6000:/var/www/mythweb/includes# dpkg --list | grep "myth"
    rc  libmyth-0.20                               0.20.2-0ubuntu10.1                   Common library code for MythTV and add-on mo
    ii  libmyth-0.21-0                             0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               Common library code for MythTV and add-on mo
    ii  libmyth-perl                               0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A PERL library to access some MythTV feature
    ii  mythtv                                     0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A personal video recorder application (clien
    ii  mythtv-backend                             0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A personal video recorder application (serve
    ii  mythtv-common                              0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A personal video recorder application (commo
    ii  mythtv-database                            0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A personal video recorder application (datab
    ii  mythtv-doc                                 0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A personal video recorder application (docum
    ii  mythtv-frontend                            0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               A personal video recorder application (clien
    ii  mythtv-theme-mythcenter-wide               0.21.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1               The MythCenter Wide MythTV Theme
    ii  mythtv-themes                              0.21.0-0ubuntu1~gutsy1               Additional themes metapackage for MythTV
    ii  mythtv-transcode-utils                     0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               Utilities used for transcoding MythTV tasks
    ii  mythweb                                    0.21.0-0ubuntu2~gutsy1               Web interface add-on module for MythTV
    Which package (if any of these) controls the protocol that mythweb is using to talk to the backend?

Thanks,

Mike

Beans

You've got me now. I have all the same packages installed as you do. It does seem that mythweb needs the older version of libmyth. Maybe start over and reinstall everything from the backports? The other thought is perhaps deleting and rebuilding your database. They could be trying to use different schema versions on the database and somehow that is causing the protocol mismatch.

Beans

I am still thinking about whether to upgrade from 0.20 to 0.21 or not. I cannot afford to have the system down for long periods of time as the Myth box is our central point and the family will become very annoyed if it is not functioning.

I enabled the backport repository and ran apt-get upgrade. The output was

PHP Code:
    The following packages have been kept back:

mplayer mythbrowser mythmusic mythtv-backend mythtv-backend-master
      mythtv
    -common mythtv-database mythtv-frontend mythtv-transcode-utils
      mythvideo mythweather ntfs
    -3g
    The following packages will be upgraded
    :

libpq5 libtheora0 mytharchive mytharchive-data mythcontrols mythflix
      mythgallery mythgame mythnews mythphone mythstream mythtv
    -themes mythweb
      ubuntu
    -mythtv-frontend
    14 upgraded
    0 newly installed0 to remove and 12 not upgraded
    After that, I declined to proceed with the upgrade. The 12 modules that will not be upgraded concern me. Shouldn't they also be upgraded to 0.21. Do I need to re-install everything from scratch? What happens to my current myth database.. channels, schedules, etc, etc?

I just need a bit more information and confidence before I attempt the upgrade.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Use the following to perform the upgrade (and all should be well):-
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

After this I still had one remaining issue where mythvideo "was held back"!

However the following finally solved the issue:-
    apt-get --reinstall install mythvideo

Beans

Thank you. I have done the steps and everything has been upgraded and all my settings look to be still there.

However, I've noticed that all playback is now extremely blocky... almost unwatchable. All the menu items during playback has a white tinge to all the writing, suggesting that it is rendering in the wrong size. Also, I've noticed that when I first choose a channel, it takes up the entire screen and looks normal, then within 1 second, the screen gets compressed to a letterbox size and is blocky.

The HD channels don't work at all. The picture is stuck on the first frame and the audio sounds like it is going through a speech synthesizer... sounds all broken and computery.

Any ideas what is going on.
    Last edited by MrHyde; March 23rd, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

I went as far as uninstalling the entire myth* set of packages from my system, and then reinstalling. The problem persisted. I then uninstalled mythweb and found that the /var/www/mythweb directory was still there. I manually deleted it, and then re-installed mythweb. This time, rather than installing the mythweb stuff directly in /var/www, it created a symbolic link to the "real" location. So, the previous stuff in /var/www/mythweb was the old 0.31 protocol, while the new stuff was residing in /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb. It was just being ignored.

Hope this explanation helps someone else downstream.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions earlier.

Regards,

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12