Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two questions about Virtual Box

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Two questions about Virtual Box

I have started using an XP Virtual Box.

The first question is: Why does #1 DVD Ripper not work? It crashes every time I use it. I do have Virtual Box mounting the Drive. [If ripping DVDs is impossible on Virtual Box, what is a good DVD ripper for Linux that can convert the DVD to DivX]

The second question is: How can I take files from my Virtual Box and put them in my Documents folder? I use Adobe Fireworks CS3 and need the files on my physical HD.

Thanks in advance.
    ~GSZX1337

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Two questions about Virtual Box

About the first one I don't know, as I don't rip DVDs, but there are many solutions for the second. You can use samba shares, or use the Virtualbox's shared folder feature, for example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Vbox's share works like this.
    Make sure the VM is turned off. Go settings. Shared folders. Setup a new share, don't forget what you named the share.

Go into the GuestOS (XP)

My computer. Dropdown address bar, go down to "My Network Places".
    Entire Network
    VirtualBox Shared Folders
    Right click the displayed folder (should be \\VBOXSRV\SharedFolderName)
    Map Network Drive

if you want - change the drive. This will show up as a Network Drive in my computer, and functions as a normal one (minus xp's annoying "Are you sure you want to run" network thing).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Live-Dimension View Post
    if you want - change the drive. This will show up as a Network Drive in my computer, and functions as a normal one (minus xp's annoying "Are you sure you want to run" network thing).
    This is incorrect if you install IE7. With the installation of IE7, detection of zones doesn't work as it should. Therefor, network shares through UNC paths are detected as Intranet Zone, but when you map it to a drive, it will change to Internet Zone. See this MS KB article for more info about this issue. You can request a hotfix, but as I experience it, it doesn't work for the Vboxsvr share. If you have set up Samba and use any form of networking (preferably NAT) then you can use that share too, which will work as it should. If you use NAT, then mount the drive to ip 10.0.2.2\sambashare.

For the first question, are you sure it works on normal XP? Did you install the correct updates for the program too? The program should just work, as it's the same as running it on a fysical machine.
    Throw Apples out the Windows, but make sure not to hit the Penguin.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the heads up Hero!
    I havent gottern around to installing IE7 yet, but was going to soon

Beans
    Distro

I tested this by uninstalling IE7 on server 2003 and it didn't work. Perhaps the installer of IE7 broke it already and was irreversable by uninstalling IE7, but it might be that the issue is already happening. As I have it on my systems, my VM has this problem, my PC doesn't (actually, the other way around, name is fine, IP is bogus).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Time View Post
    For the first question, are you sure it works on normal XP? Did you install the correct updates for the program too? The program should just work, as it's the same as running it on a fysical machine.
    Yes it does work on my XP partition and it is exactly the same on my partition as it is on my VBox.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GSZX1337 View Post
    Yes it does work on my XP partition and it is exactly the same on my partition as it is on my VBox.
    Does it use specific CPU instructions like SSE2? Check with CPU-z if the virtual CPU supports it. As I have an Intel T2300 CPU that supports Vitualisation Technology, the CPU is passed to the VM directly with all options (single core though, and lower speed) for instructions supported by the CPU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Time View Post
    Does it use specific CPU instructions like SSE2? Check with CPU-z if the virtual CPU supports it. As I have an Intel T2300 CPU that supports Vitualisation Technology, the CPU is passed to the VM directly with all options (single core though, and lower speed) for instructions supported by the CPU.
    From what I see it does use SSE2. My CPU is an AMD Opteron 165 (I keep it at stock for Linux) which does support SSE2 and SSE3. It doesn't have Virtualization though.

Beans
    Distro

Then check if the SSE2 is also available in the virtual machine. If it isn't, then you might have found the cause of the error.

An alternative to ripping dvd's is AnyDVD. It can copy the dvd to your hard drive and remove the protection from the dvd. You mention that you convert the dvd to divx, you might want to check www.doom9.org for other tools that can do the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast