Thread: HOWTO: PPTP Client in an easy way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

HOWTO: PPTP Client in an easy way

Hello,

It has been many times that I searched for a command line pptp client howto (as sometimes the GUI apps doesn`t work very well) to send to some "new to ubuntu" friends but always found some sites explaining the whole procedure making it more complicated with the extra scripts need to be created for routing the correct ip addresses through the tunnels.
    That`s why today I took the decision to write a simple bash script to make it as easy as possible to create your tunnel using only one command and then run it using pon and poff.
    I`m pasting my job here hoping to be helpful for others too.

Of course I`m taking no responsibility if this script blows up your computer or anything similar
    I don`t think that it will do though as I have tested it on my PC and some more friends without problems.

Let`s begin....

Run the following to install pptp and pptpsetup:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pptp-linux
    sudo sed -i 's/= "\$DOMAIN\\\\"/\= "$DOMAIN\\\\\\\\"/g' /usr/sbin/pptpsetup
    The sed command replaces a buggy string in the pptpsetup with the correct one.

Then download the attached script (cyberpptp.sh) and put it under your /bin/ directory. After that, make it executable using:
    Code:
    chmod +x /bin/cyberpptp.sh
    Then run the script as follows for each of your tunnel:
    Code:
    sudo cyberpptp --add <TUNNEL> <SERVER> <USERNAME> <PASSWORD> <IPs_TO_ROUTE_THROUGH_THE_TUNNEL>
    <TUNNEL> is just and identification name of your tunnel.
    <SERVER> is the host name or IP address of the pptp server.
    <DOMAIN> is the domain name of the company you are connected. (This is optional but you are strongly encouraged to use it, as if you do have similar usernames in different domains, you will not be able to connect to them without this option being set for each of them.)
    <USERNAME> the username of the pptp user to connect (put it in quotes)
    <PASSWORD> the password of the pptp user (put it in quotes again)
    <IPs_TO_ROUTE_THROUGH_THE_TUNNEL> the iprange of the remote network that it will be routed through the tunnel

An example of the above command follows:
    Code:
    sudo cyberpptp.sh --add testtunnel 86.12.34.123 'myuser' 'myP@ssw0rd' 192.168.0.0/24
    Run the tunnel using
    Code:
    sudo pon <TUNNEL>
    And disconnect the tunnel using
    Code:
    sudo poff <TUNNEL>
    You can use
    Code:
    plog
    to check the status of the connection after running the pon command.

Use the cyberpptp.sh script with --delete option, if you want to totally delete the tunnel.
    Code:
    cyberpptp.sh --delete <TUNNEL>
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: HOWTO: PPTP Client in an easy way

Couple questions:
    • Does your script work with 11.04?
    • Do we still need to use the sed command to fix the bug or was that bug addressed after you wrote the script?
    • Say someone wanted to route several IP ranges like: 10.224.208.0/24, 10.224.209.0/24, 10.224.214.0/24... How does one handle that?
      * Could we just add * to route all traffic?
      * Could we just add 10.0.0.0/16 (or whatever the slash-notation is for the whole range)?
    Remember, amatures built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rkillcrazy View Post
    Couple questions:
    • Does your script work with 11.04?
    • Do we still need to use the sed command to fix the bug or was that bug addressed after you wrote the script?
    • Say someone wanted to route several IP ranges like: 10.224.208.0/24, 10.224.209.0/24, 10.224.214.0/24... How does one handle that?
      * Could we just add * to route all traffic?
      * Could we just add 10.0.0.0/16 (or whatever the slash-notation is for the whole range)?
    Haven't tried the script recently but it should work!
    As I just see the pptpsetup script, you still need to run the sed command. I have never addressed the problem...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

As for the multiple routes, everytime you create a new tunnel, the script will create a file in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/<name_of_tunnel> and put the route commands in there.
    This file should have a line similar to this one:

Code:
    /sbin/route add -net <network range> dev $PPP_IFACE
    Copy this line and paste it exactly below as many times as the routes you want to add.
    Then change the <network range> to your static routes.
    If you want to pass all the traffic from the pptp tunnel, just use 0.0.0.0/0 instead of the * you mentioned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by CyberAngel View Post
    As for the multiple routes, everytime you create a new tunnel, the script will create a file in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/<name_of_tunnel> and put the route commands in there.
    This file should have a line similar to this one:

Code:
    /sbin/route add -net <network range> dev $PPP_IFACE
    Copy this line and paste it exactly below as many times as the routes you want to add.
    Then change the <network range> to your static routes.
    If you want to pass all the traffic from the pptp tunnel, just use 0.0.0.0/0 instead of the * you mentioned.
    Understood. I'll give all that a try.
    Remember, amatures built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic.

Beans

This is a really old thread and I just hope someone checks it.

I'm trying to set up a pptp client on my 12.04 server and I can't for the life of me get it to work so I thought I'd try your script but I'm getting this:

/bin/bash: set -x: No such file or directory

could you please help? Cheers