Thread: HOWTO: Installing lmms in Breezy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

HOWTO: Installing lmms in Breezy

The instructions I had posted here are terribly outdated and incorrect. You should use the instructions here now.

As a matter of fact, should an admin wish to delete this thread entirely, they may do so.
    Last edited by SFN; March 3rd, 2006 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Deleted instructions and pointed to better HOWTO
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOWTO: Installing lmms in Breezy

Having played with this a bit now, I can say that it appears to be quite stable. My familiarity with Fruity Loops is somewhat limited but I seem to be able to do all of the things that I've done in Fruity Loops with lmms.

The interface is functionally similar to Fruity Loops in that you do the same tasks in pretty much the same way in both programs. The difference is that lmms is more cartoonish in a KDE sort of way, whereas the Fruity Loops interface has more of a slcik, professional angle to it. In this case though, the cartoons work as it's easier (for me anyway) to find things when they have Big Shiny Buttons(tm). After getting used to where everything is, I may find the lmms interface a bit garish. (Hmmm, skinning would be nice)

The preset sounds that come with lmms are a little more amateurish than with Fruity Loops but that seems to be no big deal as the samples are just OGGs grouped together using an XML file. I'd imagine that creating my own packs would be very simple.

All in all, I'd recommend this to those wanting the abilities of Fruity Loops in Ubuntu.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: HOWTO: Installing lmms in Breezy

Hmm, I've compiled my own LMMS w/o disturbing that libqt3 under Kubuntu 5.10. Should I try and post it up somewhere and see if it works? I used checkinstall so it gave me a nice lil deb...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth
    I used checkinstall so it gave me a nice lil deb...
    Odd. I used the deb that the lmms folks posted. So the deb and the tar have different dependencies?

At any rate, yes. Go ahead and post what you've got. Anything to make the process smoother.

Beans

I compiled and installed LMMS (lmms-0.1.1) without a prob.

Except I ran into a prob getting it 'started'.

I went threw the setup dialog fine, but now when I go to run the LMMS the splash screen shows up and it poops out on me.

When I tried it from the command line I received the fallowing:

audioOSS: failed opening audio-device
    Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
    ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:802snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
    Playback open error: Device or resource busy
    Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
    Segmentation fault

Any ideas?

[ EDIT ]

My sound on my comp seems to be working fine and all my players seem to function fine also. I've rebooted and still same error from LMMS. I did have a small issue with XMMS when I first installed it... I had to set the audio to ESD from OSS.

[Re-Edit] Blah., its working fine now :-S LoL... must have been a fluke.
    Last edited by Fade; October 13th, 2005 at 05:02 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth
    Hmm, I've compiled my own LMMS w/o disturbing that libqt3 under Kubuntu 5.10. Should I try and post it up somewhere and see if it works? I used checkinstall so it gave me a nice lil deb...
    Ey, I want that deb
    Any luck posting it somewhere?
    Can you possible attach it to this thread?
    Or send it to me as Private Message?

Tried to compile it myself, but compilers never likes me, and/or I do not understand anything
    @ubuntu:~/lmms-0.1.1$ ./configure
    checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for g++... no
    checking for c++... no
    checking for gpp... no
    checking for aCC... no
    checking for CC... no
    checking for cxx... no
    checking for cc++... no
    checking for cl... no
    checking for FCC... no
    checking for KCC... no
    checking for RCC... no
    checking for xlC_r... no
    checking for xlC... no
    checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
    See `config.log' for more details.

Beans

Ok, I needed some compile-programs (not sure exactly which), and have LMMS installed now. I think I like what I see after a couple of minutes playing. Big thanks for the pointer.

Also thanks for the pointer to checkinstall. simple(if you have the required compiler programs that is):
    ,/configure
    make
    sudo checkinstall
    sudo dpkg -i some.deb

and package is installed and ready to run. I am no longer afraid of compiling programs my self. Thanks