Thread: Is it possible to VMWare or VirtualBox Ubuntu, Vista and BT2; all being installed.

Beans

Is it possible to VMWare or VirtualBox Ubuntu, Vista and BT2; all being installed.

I have run for quite some time now, successfully, Vista, Ubuntu 7.10, and Backtrack 2.0 on the same partitioned harddrive. I use Grub as boot manager on a CentrinoDuo laptop (2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, sda 140GB, sdb 100GB, nVidia).

I wanted to know if a virtualization has ever been attempted, from Ubuntu, to load pre-existing HDD installs of Vista and BT2.

If yes, how is it performance-wise? Would it be much slower than running them on their own (knowing that Vista runs 134 processes in the background on top of Ubuntu is not very comforting)?

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by uzi1978; March 8th, 2008 at 04:26 PM.

Beans

Re: Is it possible to VMWare or VirtualBox Ubuntu, Vista and BT2; all being installed

A single VM will be about 5 to 10% slower than native.

Beans

Re: Is it possible to VMWare or VirtualBox Ubuntu, Vista and BT2; all being installed

Thanks for the info...It's not as bad as I thought. I read about a few horror stories though.

Anyway, I`ll start with BT3 in Ubuntu. Shouldn't be too hard.