Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What Linux distro will you be using AFTER Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What Linux distro will you be using AFTER Ubuntu

I think it's as important to find out where this broad community wants to go as it is to know where it's been.

Describe what your ideal Desktop Distro (to keep in the same playing league) would look and act like.
    /Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What Linux distro will you be using AFTER Ubuntu

My ideal distro would be a prelinked i686 Ubuntu on which all modern PC games ran natively. Of course, Ubuntu has no control over the latter, and as soon as I get an Athlon64 mobo+chip, I won't need the former.
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stoneguy
    Describe what your ideal Desktop Distro (to keep in the same playing league) would look and act like.
    Ubuntu with better ATI support and a constantly updated universe with 30000 packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A fast, good-looking desktop (wait, I've got that now!)...that lets me use the display resolution I want (still fighting with this one...)

I never thought I'd say this, but - better multimedia support. I'm not a big fan of watching movies on my PC or listening to CDs there, although I can do both (I have a good television/DVD/VCR setup and a decent stereo), but it DOES get frustrating, visiting web sites that have streaming audio & video and having them come back and say, "Sorry, this site requires ****".

Other than that, well - magic stuff. Let me move and/or resize any partition with absolutely no risk; less cryptic (and intimidating) error messages; let me create bootable, useful backups/disk images to CD/DVD.

Really, come right down to it, Ubuntu currently gives me, um, 90% of what I'd like in a desktop OS.
    "....I'm a user, not a programmer...."

Beans

Most probably SuSE. YaST in my opinion is the best setup tool ever written for Linux. So if Ubuntu were to disappear or stop developing new releases I would go back to SuSE. The only reason I switched was apt-get. Yeah, SuSE still uses rpm as their package management tool and it's just a hassle to install most of the programs that I work with. YaST is not much of a help in this area, unfortunetly. I haven't tried the new SuSE 9.2. Many say that many features have been reworked and are working much better now, but I don't really mind now. I have Ubuntu.

Beans

I used SuSE 9.1 before switching to Ubuntu. I might use SuSE again if Ubuntu stopped being developed. It feels like Ubuntu is a lot "snappier" than SuSe and SuSE wasn't slow. Also, I really like apt and synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If ubuntu fails me, I will go directly back to Slackware. I would seriously appreciate higher architecture optimization than i386. 586/686.. Seriously. I have a laptop from 1997, It's a 586 with 32 megs of ram, and a 2 gigabyte hard-disk. It can't run Ubuntu reliably. And When I actually made it to a graphical environment, it took 16 minutes to start a pristine mozilla firefox. So.. If a 586 can barely handle Ubuntu, how well is a 386 going to do? Ubuntu is too slow for an old machine, but it's optimized for one, which holds back speeds on the machines that can actually handle it.

Now I don't want to have to move up to an amd64 just to have some architecture optimization, when I could just move back to slackware and get all of that lost speed. Pat knows what he's doing, he's been doing this for 10 years.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi
    If ubuntu fails me, I will go directly back to Slackware. I would seriously appreciate higher architecture optimization than i386. 586/686.. Seriously. I have a laptop from 1997, It's a 586 with 32 megs of ram, and a 2 gigabyte hard-disk. It can't run Ubuntu reliably. And When I actually made it to a graphical environment, it took 16 minutes to start a pristine mozilla firefox. So.. If a 586 can barely handle Ubuntu, how well is a 386 going to do? Ubuntu is too slow for an old machine, but it's optimized for one, which holds back speeds on the machines that can actually handle it.

Now I don't want to have to move up to an amd64 just to have some architecture optimization, when I could just move back to slackware and get all of that lost speed. Pat knows what he's doing, he's been doing this for 10 years.
    at least make the kernel 686

sudo apt-get install linux-686

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Chibi, Slackware isn't optimized much more than Ubuntu. i486 is hardly a gigantic leap forward from i386!

But yeah, Slack kicks vast quantities of ass.
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HungSquirrel
    Chibi, Slackware isn't optimized much more than Ubuntu. i486 is hardly a gigantic leap forward from i386!

But yeah, Slack kicks vast quantities of ass.
    i would use Fedora Core 3 again

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast