To install the student version of MATLAB 2007a under Gutsy, 64-bit, I typed the following command:

Code:
sudo /media/cdrom0/install_unix.sh
To which I got the following error:

Code:
    An error status was returned by the program 'xsetup',
    the X Window System version of 'install'. The following
    messages were written to standard error:

/media/cdrom0/unix/update/install/main.sh: 168: /media/cdrom0/unix/update/bin/glnxa64/xsetup: not found

Attempt to fix the problem and try again. If X is not available
    or 'xsetup' cannot be made to work then try the terminal
    version of 'install' using the command:

install* -t    or    INSTALL* -t

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry! Setup aborted . . .
Mathworks technical support sent the following email:
There is no 64-bit Student Version of MATLAB, but it is possible to install the 32-bit version of MATLAB on a 64-bit Linux Machine. This configuration is not officially supported, but it is expected to work.

To install and run MATLAB, do the following:

Install MATLAB using the -glnx86 flag. This will allow it to install properly on a 64-bit Linux machine:

./install -glnx86

Once the installer is finished, you will need to activate through mathworks.com, as the activation client will not work properly on 64-bit computers. To do so, follow the instructions below:

http://www.mathworks.com/support/sol...ution=1-3YZBZ6

Once MATLAB is installed and activated, you will need to run MATLAB using the same -glnx86 flag that you used to install:

./matlab -glnx86
If you try and execute matlab before activating it, you will get a java error, complaining that there is no JRE.

I followed the activation/licensing instructions, but got then error:

Code:
Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
when trying to execute matlab.

I logged out, restarted the X server, and then matlab worked! (I had also typed "xhost local:root" at the command prompt before logging out, but I don't think that is necessary for success).