Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Student version of MATLAB on 64-bit machine.

Beans

Re: Student version of MATLAB on 64-bit machine.

The reason Matlab could not determine a machine ID is that Matlab is that Matlab is hard coded to only work when your active network card is identified as eth0. This is confirmed by their tech support, who coincidentally suggested I was some kind of idiot for having two network cards and ever using eth1. You will have to manually change the identifiers associated with your various network cards if you start getting that error. Furthermore, each time Matlab is started, you have to ensure that you are using eth0 to connect to the internet, and you may even need the card associated with eth0 to have the same MAC address as the one used to register Matlab. Otherwise, particularly if you don't meet the first condition, you will certainly get "cannot determine machine ID", and the subsequent call to their technical "support" may cause you to start drinking heavily at 2:00 PM.

Incidentally, for impatient people like me, here are my commands, step by step, that got Matlab R2007A Student working with 64 bit Ubuntu 10.4 this afternoon:
    Code:
    apt-get install ia32-libs
    /media/MATHWORKS_R2007A/install_unix.sh -glnx86
    ln -s /opt/matlab/sys/java/jre/glnx86/ /opt/matlab/sys/java/jre/glnxa64
    matlab -glnx86 -nojvm
    That's it. I filled out my installer information on step 4 and it transferred the license to my new machine. It did give these miscellaneous errors on the 4th step, which have no apparent effect on Matlab functionality:

Code:
    Severe:
    The program '[3946] : Native' has exited with code 1 (0x1).
    /usr/share/themes/New Wave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:83: Failed to parse property value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkMenuBar::shadow-type'
    /usr/share/themes/New Wave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:94: Failed to parse property value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkToolbar::shadow-type'
    /usr/share/themes/New Wave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:102: Failed to parse property value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkStatusbar::shadow-type'
    /usr/share/themes/New Wave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:104: Failed to parse property value " GTK_SHADOW_NONE " for `GtkProgressBar::shadow-type'
    /usr/share/themes/New Wave/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:133: error: lexical error or unexpected token, expected valid token
    These errors do not reappear once you've finished registration, so I conclude they're only associated with the display for the registration script.

I have now tested Matlab now with most of a custom GUI written for my dissertation, and it's more functional in an hour than a certain Linux competitor was in a year.
    Last edited by Vulcanasm; September 28th, 2010 at 01:42 AM.

Beans

Re: Student version of MATLAB on 64-bit machine.

To reply to Vulcanasm, his tips worked great for 32bit Student Matlab 2009a on a fresh 64bit install of Maverick.

the relevant commands for me, in order, were:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
    sudo /media/MATHWORKS_R2009A/install_unix.sh -glnx86
    sudo ln -s /containingdirectory/matlab/sys/java/jre/glnx86/ /containingdirectory/matlab/sys/java/jre/glnxa64
    sudo chmod 777 -R /containingdirectory/matlab
    matlab -glnx86

thanks to everyone in this thread, esp. Vulcanasm!

now to get hardware rendering to work...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12