Thread: Launch seamless apps from gnome?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Launch seamless apps from gnome?

Is there a way you can launch apps from a windows guest (running seamlessly) from the ubuntu desktop? So in other words can I create a launcher that will directly launch windows apps withuot having to navigate through the windows toolbar?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Launch seamless apps from gnome?

I run WinXP from its own desktop under Ubuntu host. You can create shortcuts in Windows to launch a Win app just as you would do in normal Windows, placing the shortcut on the WinXP desktop.

I'm not sure I get what you are after.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fjgaude; March 7th, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think I'm looking for the same thing.

Basically, I want a shortcut to a Windows program that can be launched from my Xubuntu desktop (not my Windows desktop).

I run WinXP from its own desktop under Ubuntu host. You can create shortcuts in Windows to launch a Win app just as you would do in normal Windows, placing the shortcut on the WinXP desktop.
    I think think the difference between what we're after and what you described is where the shortcut is located. In seamless mode, I want to avoid the Windows desktop and start menu completely. Is it possible to launch a Windows application from the host OS?

Beans
    Distro

If you can read that little thumbnail of one of my five desktops, you notice that the WinXP with all its apps running is on top of a Ubuntu Gnome desktop with icons for both WinXP and Ubuntu showing. Thus you can run without changing desktops either type of programs.

I guess you wish to not even see the WinXP desktop but have just an icon on the Ubuntu desktop show and click to execute, eh?

I don't know of a way to do that. You can make the whole vm WinXP an icon putting it at the bottom of the Ubuntu taskbar, tray.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    You can make the whole vm WinXP an icon putting it at the bottom of the Ubuntu taskbar, tray.
    what does that mean?

Beans
    Distro

Well, just like any other program, vmware is one too. You have the option of going full-screen, scalable, or to an icon in the tray or panel. You know the dash, square, and x in the upper, right-hand corner of programs.