Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: USB drive detection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB drive detection

after reading through other forums i finally found out the cause of the issue- this may work for your issue as well with the Q phone, although it sounds like it differs slightly in that winxp immediately disconnects the device after detection... basically if you have any other hard drive partitions, network drives, or removable devices installed to winxp- in other words, you have other drive letter assignments other than the standard C, D and A, winxp may auto-allocate a newly installed usb device a drive letter that is already taken, instead of the next drive letter that is actually available. i have 2 network drives and a second HD partition on my winxp system- when i plugged in my USB flash drive xp was assigning the drive letter belonging to my second HD partition to the USB drive (go into Computer Managements console to see if it indeed being assigned a drive letter) so i changed the drive letter associated to the USB drive and BAM- xp recognized it immediately and it showed up in my computer seconds later...

hope this helps others in this situation...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    If it is a normal USB drive Ubuntu should have no trouble reconginizing it.

You BIOS shows that the USB functions are there?

Have you ever had this drive work in this situation?
    Yep everything USB is working. I reinstalled Windows XP SP2 today just to test all this, and it detects and connects to it perfectly fine. That means my laptop's hardware and the Q itself are fine. There's gotta be something wrong with Gutsy. Maybe upgrading to Hardy Alpha 5 will help? Anyone have any knowledge of that?
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Matt26 View Post
    after reading through other forums i finally found out the cause of the issue- this may work for your issue as well with the Q phone, although it sounds like it differs slightly in that winxp immediately disconnects the device after detection... basically if you have any other hard drive partitions, network drives, or removable devices installed to winxp- in other words, you have other drive letter assignments other than the standard C, D and A, winxp may auto-allocate a newly installed usb device a drive letter that is already taken, instead of the next drive letter that is actually available. i have 2 network drives and a second HD partition on my winxp system- when i plugged in my USB flash drive xp was assigning the drive letter belonging to my second HD partition to the USB drive (go into Computer Managements console to see if it indeed being assigned a drive letter) so i changed the drive letter associated to the USB drive and BAM- xp recognized it immediately and it showed up in my computer seconds later...

hope this helps others in this situation...
    No dice; even with only the C: drive, it was still doing this.

It's gotta be something with Ubuntu doing this; there's no other explanation. Somehow it's taking control back from Windows; there's nothing else to explain it connecting and then disconnecting. First things first, is there an easy way to get meaningful statistics on what's plugged in at a given time, like actual device information so I can see what Gutsy's treating my phone as? And then, is there any way to tell Ubuntu just to ignore the device or give control of it to the VM?

If it's any help, when the device cycles the "charging" indicator on the phone keeps changing as well (going from charging to just on then back as the device connects and disconnects).

P.S.: I also tried, just for laughs, trying to reconfigure SynCE again today. It couldn't see the device either. Coincidence? I think not.
    Last edited by djbon2112; March 13th, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
    Rig: Intel Core i5 2500K [4.7GHz]; ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z; AMD Radeon HD 6870; 16GB Geil DDR3-1600; OCz Vertex 2 128GB SSD; Lian Li PC-V351B; Corsair H100 cooler; Corsair TX650W; 3x BenQ G2222HDL + 1x Acer x93w; Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wish I had something to suggest... I wouldn't go with Hardy now... wait until the release... as we get updates the OS runs into issues, and at present is far from complete.

I do believe from what I've gone through over the years is that Gutsy is the least stable of any Ubuntu release. Feisty was, is much better.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q30X Intel i5-4670K 4.0GHz, SSDs,16G RAM | Dell laptop E1505n, netbook 10n
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win8 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

have you already tried going into System/Preferences/Removable Devices and Media and unchecking the first 3 options under the Removable Storage section to make sure that Ubuntu isn't taking control of any USB devices? i know your phone wouldn't technically be considered a removable drive but it's worth a try..

Beans
    Distro

Yea, I've pretty much given up. I'm backing up my install then doing a clean install of Gutsy (and changing a few other things to make it better, i.e. seperate partition for /home, etc.) and hopefully it works. Thanks for the help guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Matt26 View Post
    did you need to turn off your vm to accomplish this? did you have to remove your existing USB controller first before adding the new one, as i tried adding a new USB controller when the vm was turned off but it was grayed out until i removed the existing controller in the hardware list.
    I didnt have a USB controller. So I needed to add one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234