Thread: Building a Mythbuntu PC

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Building a Mythbuntu PC

Hello all, I'm wanting to start things off right with this computer build .... my last build was ugly and full of RMAs due to incompatibility.

So as any user should - I searched previous posts on the forums for answers to questions I might of had before posting. I see a lot of interesting motherboards, but most have HDMI problems or other issues later on for configuring them correctly. - I'd like it to be as painless as possible and simple.

My goal is to build a powerful enough PC that I can use as an HD-DVR type system and still maybe play World of Warcraft on with a descent frame rate in Ubuntu. I guess with an HDTV antenna and a standard cable input. My provider does have its cable card system working yet

If anyone has a build they'd post and share with me I'd be very greatful. I'm looking into building two of these systems. If you have a dream system that you've got your eyes on for the $700-1200 range feel free to post! Thank you for your time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Building a Mythbuntu PC

I can only suggest looking at the sticky of what others have built.

What I can offer is look beyond just the pc. I made an assumption on my HDTV that I could display 1080i. This is only true if I am using component input. My max resolution for DVI and VGA are 1366x768.

Nvidia
    MCEUSB2 remote
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    I can only suggest looking at the sticky of what others have built.

What I can offer is look beyond just the pc. I made an assumption on my HDTV that I could display 1080i. This is only true if I am using component input. My max resolution for DVI and VGA are 1366x768.

Nvidia
    MCEUSB2 remote
    I have an HDMI input on my TV but when I used a HDMI to DVI converter I could never get the screen pixel size correct. I've never tried a component hookup. I have a Samsung DLP 56in 1080i TV thats about 3 years old that I'd like to use as a monitor. Any ideas how to make configure very well with a PC? The VGA hook up only works at 1024x768

Beans

Hello to another Alabuntu user!

as far as dvi to hdmi goes, I'm pretty satisifed with my output
    I have a nvidia 6200 and a sony 1080p montor and I lose a little of the screen edges due to overscan, but when I'm in the mythtv interface or watching tv, I don't notice at all.

I'm buying some new parts soon to upgrade my myth box, too.
    check on the functional/non-functional thread for some hardware ideas.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=566529