Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Posting Homework Problems

Beans

Posting Homework Problems

Many people like to post their programming homework assignments on this forum.

Here is how to solve any homework assignment on your own:

• First, read the problem and figure out what the task is
    • Think about the problem and use your intelligence to figure it out in a way that best suits you.
    • If you don't understand it, ask your instructor, consult your notes, or (I know this hurts) look it up independently.
    • If that fails to solve the problem, you need to reevaluate the instructor and yourself.

Computer programming is all about problem solving and being able to use your mind. If you can't do that...

Posting such questions is against forum policy, see:

Quote Originally Posted by UF Code of Conduct
    6.While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums should not be thought of as a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you. Any such threads will be taken offline and warnings or infractions may be issued.
    What is allowed:

Just because posting homework assignments is against forum policy, you can ask questions that are related to homework. If you get stuck on certain aspects of the assignment (like compiling your code in Linux, or something not specific to the solution to the problem.) you can ask.

Also note:

We can all tell homework when it is homework, so don't think you can fool us. If you can't figure out how to solve the problem, don't think you can fool people who can.
    Last edited by LaRoza; March 6th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.

Beans

Re: FAQ: Posting Homework Problems

well said

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eldragon View Post
    well said
    Maybe we should have a "Homework Hall of Shame", we just got two posts within minutes of each other!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well roared, lion.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Agreed. Another ISP/Coding industry focussed forum I visit has the same rules - and it really is quite obvious what is homework and what isn't. When it comes down to it, if you don't want to bother with working out the solution yourself or at least doing research (read: Google & other search tools), then handballing the problem to others is not really the way to go.

At the same time though, if you've worked the majority of the problem out and are just having some minor problems with syntax, or are wondering if your solution could be more efficient - and have at least worked towards making it so yourself - then I'm sure many of us would be glad to point you in the right direction and/or offer advice.
    Last edited by elithrar; March 7th, 2008 at 01:55 AM.

Beans

Perhaps this should be sticky...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mssever View Post
    Perhaps this should be sticky...
    I was thinking it should be a sticky as well.

It could be in the FAQ, but those that post homework don't read that sticky surely.

What does everyone else thing? Would a visible "Homework" sticky be worth it? Or should it just be added to the current sticky (where I am sure such people would never see it)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I think it should be its own sticky.... you're right, people who try and cheat don't read FAQs

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If it was a sticky, you would have two advantages:

(1) Mods could simply quote the sticky instead of making up their own wording.

(2) You could admonish new members who obviously did not the sticky to read stickies before making themselves look silly.

(3) You could keep a tally of members who obviously ignore stickies.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Posting Homework Problems

Sticky. Is not like a life/death decision anyway...
    "Just in terms of allocation of time resources, religion is not very efficient. There's a lot more I could be doing on a Sunday morning."
    -Bill Gates

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast