Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Posting Homework Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: FAQ: Posting Homework Problems

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    (3) You could keep a tally of members who obviously ignore stickies.
    Put me on the list .

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    Maybe we should have a "Homework Hall of Shame", we just got two posts within minutes of each other!
    Good idea, those posts are hilarious:
    I'm needing help with a question in my tutorial due tomorrow...
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; September 3rd, 2009 at 07:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think this rule is a little weird. Of course just posting whatever question or problem that your tutor has given you and expecting someone else to do it is kind of ridiculous. But on the other hand, threads where the author just expects other people to do their work for them won't get any answers anyway.

What's the difference between researching a problem by consulting text books or doing online searches, and simply asking those more knowledgeable than you? Either way, you're consulting a source of information - exactly what schools are supposed to teach you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nevon View Post
    But on the other hand, threads where the author just expects other people to do their work for them won't get any answers anyway.
    Wanna bet?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think this rule is a little weird. Of course just posting whatever question or problem that your tutor has given you and expecting someone else to do it is kind of ridiculous. But on the other hand, threads where the author just expects other people to do their work for them won't get any answers anyway.

What's the difference between researching a problem by consulting text books or doing online searches, and simply asking those more knowledgeable than you? Either way, you're consulting a source of information - exactly what schools are supposed to teach you.
    The main problem here is that, no one really want's us to help them. All they want is a fully working program/idea, without lifting a finger.
    If someone really can't complete his assignment, well .. is it worth learning ( I mean, what's the purpose of your programming lessons ? ) ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When you search online for how to do something, you more than likely have to understand what's going on in order to implement it. When someone gives you fully working source code, there is no learning.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JordyD View Post
    When you search online for how to do something, you more than likely have to understand what's going on in order to implement it. When someone gives you fully working source code, there is no learning.

I'm new to the forums, but, I aggree with this. I'm not a CS major, I'm an electrical engineer and my Calculus classes had some pretty tough problems. If I didn't understand the problem, at least somewhat, the solution wouldn't make any sense. And I figure what good is getting one point on a homework assignment vs. losing the next 50 when I still don't know how to do <insert anything mindboggling here> when it crops back up later in the course. I'm sure the programming classes are the same...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by JordyD View Post
    When someone gives you fully working source code, there is no learning.
    True, but that's the fault of the person who replies - not the thread author. A good reply would be to maybe explain the problem, the steps to take for one way of solving it, and perhaps throw in some links for further reading. That way you're helping the person understanding what he or she is supposed to do, without doing all their work for them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234