Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which CMS is best for your needs, and your clients needs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which CMS is best for your needs, and your clients needs?

Good try Alex, it seems nice. I'll have a deeper look at it later.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Am not a programmer and not a web developer. But have had to build websites. After installing and trying, Joomla, Plone, Drupal and having briefly glanced at many other CMS, I made an unlikely choice for a non-programmer. I tried ModX and liked it and am building my second site with it. Among the many things that I liked, the first thing that attracted my attention is the easy to use "document tree" in the backend.
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What exactly does a CMS do? How is it different from using something like Dreamweaver/Amaya/KompoZer (or the for the elitist, a text editor)?
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    What exactly does a CMS do? How is it different from using something like Dreamweaver/Amaya/KompoZer (or the for the elitist, a text editor)?
    CMS uses a database to seperate content from design... using plain html pages you will end up with something unmanageable after a while.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    Dreamweaver/Amaya or a text editor are used to create web pages and web sites. If you want to add content to your website, or move things around you may have to redo the site or some pages.
    A Content Management System (CMS) makes it easier if you have to often update the content online, allow different users to post content on the site, add and maintain different components to the website such as a picture gallery, a discussion forum, allow people not familiar with creating web pages to add content, and many other uses.
    Gunashekar
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AlexC_ View Post
    Shamless plug (I'm the lead developer) =3 I'll throw TangoCMS into the mix. Currently a lot of improvements are being made to it (for the 2.x series, to be released in August).

Hopefully it meets your needs =).

Regards,
    Alex
    I spent a few hours on tangocms. Looks promising Alex. I hope you achieve your objective of w3c compliance. Havent seen a CMS yet to do that convincingly. Am no programmer but have been using computers since the days when we learned programming by punching cards (guess that gives an idea of my age). I have spent a lot of time tinkering with most of the popular CMS particularly open source ones. I have been using ModX but seems ModX is heading in a direction I am not comfortable with as a user.

If i had programming or graphical skills, I would have volunteered to work on TangoCMS. Still if there is something I could do, do tell me... drop a private message on this forum. Maybe some marketing related stuff..or a linux distro branded Tango targeting website builders, designers. Webmasters (the needed components are already there in ubuntu studio but some portions are missing) I believe in niche / targeted marketing of Bundled OS.
    Gunashekar
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans

I have an startup and we work almost exclusively with plone. It's a little heavy on memory, but you get an amazing framework, a solid i18n machinery, the zope's indexing and search capabilities are outstanding (one of the founders of plone works @google).

We've been productive and deliver value at a pace that is amazing. I've been working with web since 1996 and at first i've just looked ant lampp based solutions (like joomla and stuff like that) but ever since I entered zope's (Plone is built on top of zope, in python) land I stay here for the rest of the trip.

Take a look at plone.org, i use to hang at #plone too.

Cheers
    My gtk themes | Help little bunny take over the world by pasting it on your signature:
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans

I have an startup and we work almost exclusively with plone. It's a little heavy on memory, but you get an amazing framework, a solid i18n machinery, the zope's indexing and search capabilities are outstanding (one of the founders of plone works @google).

We've been productive and deliver value at a pace that is amazing. I've been working with web since 1996 and at first i've just looked ant lampp based solutions (like joomla and stuff like that) but ever since I entered zope's (Plone is built on top of zope, in python) land I stay here for the rest of the trip.

Take a look at plone.org, i use to hang at #plone too.

Cheers
    My gtk themes | Help little bunny take over the world by pasting it on your signature:
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans

I am a huge supporter of Modx. The code is very flexible so that you can do whatever you need for a client. The community is also very good.

The developers have been pumping up the new release of it for sometime which is supposed to make a great cms even better!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Really, it all depends on what you want to do. I love Drupal, but it is fat, or bloated, if all you want is a blog. Drupal is only good if you want to do a lot of different things, like start a social network. If all you want to do is blog, Joombla or Word Press are great. You can also use different ones together at the same time.

Here is a list of CMSs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gement_systems

Hope that helps.

And by by-the-way... if you decide to build your own CMS, rather than a pre-built, use Ruby on Rails. It is not too hard to learn and easy to maintain.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast