Thread: IRC Help

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

IRC Help

Hi,

I would like to participate in some of the meetings and stuff that it says the group does on the IRC.

So here's my problem-I have never been able to figure out how to get on to an IRC chat. Is there a help somewhere or something? I have thought I got on some before, but never could see anyone else talking or other stupid stuff.

I would Love to help spread edubuntu through the home school community-they could, and would really get a lot out of it.

Also-the group homepage says something about website help-I could help with that too.

Thanks

Danielle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: IRC Help

Danielle,

To get into IRC, click on your "Applications" menu, and go down to the "Internet" menu. Next, click on the Pidgin Instant Manager Application.

If you have never used Pidgin before, it will ask you for a new account. Click the "New Account" button, and select IRC from the drop-down chat types. Then, add a username, which can include numbers, caps, and small letters, but it can not include spaces. Do not worry about adding a password.

You will see a window open that says you are connected to the freenode network. Select "Join Chat" from the buddy list window, under the "Buddy List" menu. In the "Channel" box, type "#ubuntu-us-ga" without the quotes. Do not enter a password. Click "Connect" and you should be in!

If this does not work, feel free to either post back here or to the teams mailing list (you will need to register first).

Jon
    LoCo About Ubuntu! - jonreagan.wordpress.com

Vote for the Ubuntu Developer Network!!! - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18100/

Beans
    Distro

Could I get that in Gaim?
    I tried -again to install Pidgin and had no luck--I'm not that experienced yet-keep getting some stupid error.

Then I tried going with your instructions, and the version of gaim i have is too different (icr is like a foreign language to me for some reason)

I have a login wdw pop up with a main list of preferences button and an account button. When I click add acct, I get this list:
    protocol
    screen name
    password
    alias
    remember password check
    auto login check

then user prefs
    then advanced has
    aim/ocq options and3 blanks
    and proxy options

Thanks a bunch for your help

PS--how do I get back to the mailing list. I thought I had signed up, but haven't heard anything else.

Stay Dry Today!

Danielle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

You can access the IRC protocol via Gaim. Pidgin is a new version of Gaim, they just changed the name.

For the protocol in a new account, select IRC from the drop-down list.

Next, add a username. You do not need a password.

For your alias, you do not need to put anything there if I remember correctly, but you can just put your IRC screename in that box.

That should do it, and you should be able to connect via the "Buddy" list in the "Buddies Window" by selecting the "Join chat" menu option.

Hope that helps!

The mailing list is a little quiet right now, although the traffic might get heavier since we have some events coming up. I am going to send out an email on the list today, so see if it comes through. If not, then go ahead and sign up, and you should recieve a confirmation email in your inbox a little while later.

Vote for the Ubuntu Developer Network!!! - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/18100/

Beans
    Distro

Thank you so very much for your help

I missed the message you sent, but I think I have Pidgin setup.
    --I had just bought a "new" pc -long story but it Had 6.06 on it (I lost the 7.04 cd i had). After talking to you guys here, I went ahead and burned 7.10 and installed it--and ate the broken Win2K the pc came with.

So--anywho, got the pidgin. Y'all were right! 7.10 is soo much better. And shockwave support--woo hoo! And Man, was it nice Not to have to spend all that time getting the internet right (with all the plugins).

Now, if I could only figure out how to make all these programs work LOL

BTW, is it acceptable to ask this group support questions, or do they need to stay elsewhere on the forums? Silly beginner stuff, like how do I connect to all these program servers? and how do I get the login window to show on Gcompris? Or how to put the weblink into the panel weather widgit so that I can view radar? Silly stuff.

Thanks again

Danielle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Glad to hear things are working!

You can ask any and all questions here, although it may be faster in the main section of the forums (6hrs - 1 day vs. 20 min.)

As for the weather link, you just need to find the right radar link in your web browser. This has always been difficult for me in the past, although I found it easier to use the one that shows up if you choose a place near your location, and then check "Enable Radar Map" at the bottom of the "Preferences" dialog. You do not need a link; it will add the radar map automatically.

With the other items... I don't really have an answer... I've never personally used any of the applications you have mentioned, which may be something to ask on the main forums. Be sure to do a search, sometimes that makes finding what you are looking for even faster.

Hope this helps!

Jon

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again

That's zactly what I needed with the weather! I had tried 4-ever to direct it to weatherunderground with no luck.

Duh--it wasn't that I was that dim, just that I live in the boonies. I changed it from Milledgeville to to ATL, Heartsfield and bingo! Even a forecast page.

Thanks!

Danielle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No problem, that's what we're here for!

In case you are interested, there will be an IRC meeting this Sunday, at 3pm on the Ubuntu Georgia IRC channel.