Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardy LTS - Is it just me or....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hardy LTS - Is it just me or....

does anyone else think that releasing a LTS version of Ubuntu in April is a bad idea?

Don't get this the wrong way. The decision about making Hardy a LTS release was made some time ago. But it seems to me that it would have made a lot more sense releasing a LTS version this coming October instead, especially considering the following:

It seems that Firefox 3 won't be released in a final state until some time in may. The beta 4 will come out in March 10-14, and beta 5 late March which means that the RCs will be released during April. Therefore there's a strong sense that Hardy will have a Firefox 3 Release Candidate (1 or 2).

OpenOffice 3 will, according to the release schedule, be released in September. And OO3 will be a major upgrade adding a lot of new (important) features.

Gnome 2.22 is, as I see it, a work-in-progress. Switching the main Gnome apps to GVFS isn't finished (Evolution, Rhythmbox and others). And even though Nautilus has been ported to GVFS, it looks like it needs a lot more testing.

I dont know if I'm right about this, but it seems that the integration of PulseAudio also needs more work.

It just seems that making Ibex a LTS would have been a better choice.
    The selling points would be more clearer:
    Firefox 3 (Final)
    OpenOffice 3
    Gnome 2.24
    Linux 2.6.26
    Ekiga 3
    Gimp 2.5+

At least the new Kubuntu LTS will be released in October simply because of KDE4, its hard to grasp why they don't move the date. It's only 6 months.
    Last edited by conphara; March 6th, 2008 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Hardy LTS - Is it just me or....

LTS doesn't mean it should be using the latest uptodate software . What's more important is stability rather than usability/bling.

Newer versions of the mentioned programs might be buggy/unstable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm sure the people behind the release know what they're doing.
    The sooner the better I say.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aimran View Post
    LTS doesn't mean it should be using the latest uptodate software . What's more important is stability rather than usability/bling.

Newer versions of the mentioned programs might be buggy/unstable.
    +1 and I think that is the general idea behind a LTS release. Very same reason Kubuntu KDE4 will not be a LTS release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hardy is not that bad, the only thing that I see with my configuration is a pulseaudio mess, my sound stutters and blubbers. But apart from that, it is really stable, and we still have one and a half month till it is released, so there should be hopefully enough time to make it really nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aimran View Post
    LTS does in most cases mean it should be using the latest up to date software, especially regarding the particular software the OP has cited, because the software you ship in a product with a 3-5 year lifecycle needs to be supportable all along that period, and if you ship old versions whose support will expire upstream sometime within that period, you end up with the burden of maintaining them yourself. Add to that the fact that Ubuntu traditionally tries to stick with upstream to the greatest extent possible, and the fact that you'll be losing a lot of competitive edge by including old versions of popular desktop apps and technologies in a release that you'll support for 3 years on the desktop, and you get the picture.

The OP has a point: lots of new stuff arrived in an untimely manner for an LTS release. There will be a point release of Hardy (8.04.1) in May, and it will include lots of fixes from various upstreams, and possibly the final version of Firefox 3 if it doesn't make it.
    Last edited by 23meg; March 6th, 2008 at 09:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

There's a possibility that Hardy will be released with FF2 and then in June's 8.04.1 release updated to FF3 final. As to the other stuff, it's prety darned stable. The biggest problems you'll find right now are to do with the build farm being hit hard by uploads and not getting all the packages done and out quickly enough so you end up with most packages compiled...and then one dependency being held up in the queue so you can't update. Screens & Graphics isn't done. ACPI was recently fixed, and it's working great. I'm about to go report a Network Manager bug that should be a very easy fix and only crops up with a VPN. The actual apps are stable. Nautilus has been holding up very well. I think it's going to be a good release.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    The OP has a point: lots of new stuff arrived in an untimely manner for an LTS release. There will be a point release of Hardy (8.04.1) in May, and it will include lots of fixes from various upstreams, and possibly the final version of Firefox 3 if it doesn't make it.
    Good to hear...although if it will really be that close, then I would delay the 8.04 release.

Which is more important: holding to an arbitrary deadline, or producing the best LTS version yet? If Ubuntu releases 8.04, then there is a respin 30 days later, it will look like Canonical just wanted to get the damn thing out the door....like Microsoft and Vista.

Keep in mind, I am running Hardy now. I think it will be stable enough by April...but let's, in to paraphrase a song from the 80's "take our time and do it right."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by justin whitaker View Post
    Which is more important: holding to an arbitrary deadline, or producing the best LTS version yet?
    Producing the best version is more important.

Remember that 6.06 wasn't 6.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    Producing the best version is more important.

Remember that 6.06 wasn't 6.04.
    I was going to say this

Dapper was delayed 2 months for stability, 2 extra months to solve more bugs before the final release.

Dapper worked much better than Breezy. Edgy was a lot worst than Dapper in bugs - imho. Those 2 extra months did made big a difference.

+1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast