Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardy LTS - Is it just me or....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Hardy LTS - Is it just me or....

Quote Originally Posted by unityofsaints View Post
    There is a good reason why Hardy is LTS: Dapper users were told 2 years ago that there would be another LTS two years down the road- not 2 years + 6 months.

Secondly, these apps you mention are actually a good reason why Canonical SHOULDN'T hang on till October!

- OpenOffice 3 will be a huge step forward and still buggy as hell in 6 months (IF it will be out at all by then)
    - Ubuntu is design to sync in with each new Gnome release, so Gnome 2.22 WILL be ready in time. Nothing to be gained by waiting for .24
    - The Kernel version matters little. Canonical will always go with whatever is stable at the time, since the Kernel has been developed on a consistent basis since god-know-when it doesn't matter much if 2.6.24 or .26 or .28 is included, since it will always be "outdated" in the minds of some by the time release comes around.
    - AFAIK Gimp still follows the evens = stable, odds = release mantra so waiting until .25 gets going would give you a less stable Gimp!
    - Ekiga 3? Who cares? I don't know of anyone using it, as far as I can see it's just included because it's part of the Gnome desktop and FOSS unlike Skype, the more popular choice.
    - Firefox 3 beta 3 is already more stable than FF2 as it is and there will be another few releases between now and the release of Hardy. Believe it or not I've been using it since Alpha 7 (that's 4 major development releases ago!) and it's never given me as many crashes as 2.xx.

IMO Canonical is right on in making this one LTS.
    Well said!
    I think we should all be trusting Canonicals decision to release it when it's been announced. They know what they're doing.
    There's not much point complaining as well because we can't change the release date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I guess at this rate, hardy can be nice and stable so that 8.10 can have lots of bleeding-edge stuff. Meaning, everything that the OP listed can make it into 8.10, and people that want a more stable selection of packages can stick with hardy
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    The respin is generally go get all the updates to that point out on the disk, instead of waiting 5 hours to download them all. That's what 6.06.1 and 6.06.2 were.
    Besides the respins I think they should offer xdeltas as well. Why download the entire cd again when you only need a portion of it.

Beans

I think all will be fine. I prefer using older versions of programs if they are more stable. Look at Debian Etch. It's rock solid.
    Acer Aspire 3680, Intel Celeron M, 1.41 GB RAM
    Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tdrusk View Post
    Look at Debian Etch. It's rock solid.
    Well, and "rock boring"...but of course there must be a balance.

I prefer a rock solid Debian ground (as it is) but with newest
    application/kernel level, the Ubuntu way.

Lots of Debian users are going to switch over to Lenny or has already done it because Etch is so old now. I have not checked latest roadmap for Lenny.

I also believe that Debian and Ubuntu must be closer to each other in long term. Debian is "Ubuntus mother" and will be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Can't help but agree with the OP..
    but there's nothing we can do

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Besides the respins I think they should offer xdeltas as well. Why download the entire cd again when you only need a portion of it.
    You can use rsync.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tdrusk View Post
    I think all will be fine. I prefer using older versions of programs if they are more stable. Look at Debian Etch. It's rock solid.
    And crashes on hardware made in 2006 or later. If I ever reinstall Etch on this laptop, I'll have to find some way to keep it running long enough to compile a modern kernel.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123