View Poll Results: AMD, Intel (CPU), Intel (Graphic Card), Nvidia, ATI?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • AMD

6 25.00%
  • Intel (CPU)

14 58.33%
  • Intel (Graphic Card)

2 8.33%
  • Nvidia

18 75.00%
  • ATI

7 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] amd or intel, nvidia or ati

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

[SOLVED] amd or intel, nvidia or ati

I am considering a new laptop, but before I part with my money I was hoping to get some of your views and suggestions as to what would be a good choice.
    Firstly it will be running Linux so good support is essential, its primary uses will be for multimedia and general home use, light gaming, and light design work.
    I was thinking something with a AMD cpu with Nvidia card and about 1 Gb or RAM.
    I came across a Packard Bell that had what I was wanting, and my current laptop is PB and has served me well, but it is quite old, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything about whither the company has gone up or down, or if buying from dell is worth while.
    "Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning: I can't configure debian" Stoled from Hedge, who got it from the urban dictionary.

Beans

Re: amd or intel, nvidia or ati

I have heard alot of good stuff about dells CPUs. But on the other hand it might not be wise to get one since 1 year ago they build this HUGE campus/call center in my city and now its gone belly up. Ive heard that a couple of others have done the same in other cities so its possible that Dell might be going through some kind of downward spiral right now and of course that will mean that you, the end user, will have to pay for it in some way. Anyway, I just bought a compaq presario F500, AMD dual core with a nvidia card and 1 gig of ram for about $700 and its working VERY well with all distros Ive tried on it. You might like as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for that, I did a google for AMD laptops and I think I came across that one, there was just so many to look at.
    "Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning: I can't configure debian" Stoled from Hedge, who got it from the urban dictionary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

To be honest, I can't really reccommend AMD's chip for a laptop. They aren't as power efficient. Especially when compared to Intel's Ultra Low Voltage line of Core 2 Duos. Specifically anything that has "ULV" in the title of it. My current favorite is the "ULV7600" which is their top of the line model.

As for graphics, honestly, a lot of people would say don't go with ATI, but personally I've got an ati card in my laptop and havn't had any problems, except with suspend and hibernate (which I ALSO have problems with using NVIDIA card).

I'd say, def with Intel proc, and cheaper graphics.

All this said, if you're on a budget, you may consider a pentium m. Those are kinda old, yet still get very good power management. I had an old sony with a pentium M 1.2Ghz that would last 5 hours in windows and about 4.5 hours in linux.

Beans

Intel with nvida, thats what I'd go for.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Why? I was hoping to avoid Intel as they just seem to be not as forward thinking as AMD, yes they have 45nm chips, but there EM64T is crap, and they also produce for heat for similar power.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djbsteart1 View Post
    Why? I was hoping to avoid Intel as they just seem to be not as forward thinking as AMD, yes they have 45nm chips, but there EM64T is crap, and they also produce for heat for similar power.
    the 64 bit architecture can be troublesome, like getting media to work.
    most codecs, plugins and the like are 32 only.
    I know there is emulation involved here but reading around these parts getting a 32 bit processor will be easier to manage.
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    I agree because of the AwEsOmE support i've received through intel.com... even if i ask a lame question, and couln't find the awnser myself by the auto-generated responce a correspondent would reply my email personaaly within hours. Love intel support <3 <3

Also nvidia above ati, because thats what they specialize in. If i have it right ati is like a offspring of the amd company or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Also nvidia above ati, because thats what they specialize in. If i have it right ati is like a offspring of the amd company or something?
    AMD bought ATI, so yes its part of AMD but it does dedicate to graphics.

Cant 32bit systems be installed to 64 bit architectures?

Doesnt AMD have a performance advantage on intel when you compare prices?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djbsteart1 View Post
    AMD bought ATI, so yes its part of AMD but it does dedicate to graphics.

Cant 32bit systems be installed to 64 bit architectures?

Doesnt AMD have a performance advantage on intel when you compare prices?
    perhaps, but intel dual cores blow almost everything away.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast