Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW UBUNTU USERS: Becoming friends with the terminal...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: NEW UBUNTU USERS: Becoming friends with the terminal...

I would recommend aptitude instead of apt-get, but otherwise, it's a nice start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by hums07 View Post
    Man pages are usually very long. It looks scary and confusing for noob like me. I see many commands have the option --help. That's the first thing I will read for more info, and if that does not help then I might try to read the man page. That said I think it is good if you remind a noob of --help option.
    I like the --help option, but I also still think that people should be encouraged to read the manual. I know you get information overload, which is why I suggested the advice:

- don't try to understand it all, but run an eye over the page to see if you can get the gist of what the command in the post is supposed to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thank you Mazza. Now could you tell me how to install a printer in Ubuntu?

Specifically, why do we have to use CUPS? Can I add drivers from my CD/DVD?

I have a Multi functional printer (Brother MFC 9440cn). How do I tell the CUPS people to add this multi functional suite driver so that my printer will fully work.

Right now CUPS has a driver for Brother MFC 9420. This has installed and works for the printing. But I need the whole suite driver so that I can also do scanning and faxing of this machine.
    Brother website has provided a Linux driver for this multi functional. But CUPS do not have it. How can I have this added and then move over to my Ubuntu Hardy Heron?

Beans

check this out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=105703
    it got mine working.

Beans
    Distro

My printer is working as CUPS has an older driver which works with the newer printer also.

My question was I do I add the new drivers suite to the CUPS list. Since then I have posted messages in the CUPS forum. Let us see if someone takes notice and adds the Brother MFC 9440cn driver suite to the CUPS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

thanks for explaining the death code!
    i didnt realize the SUDO password wouldnt show anything when i typed lol... o dear

Beans

As a shell advocate, I think that the more guides like this that encourage the use of the CLI interface, the more likely users may be to try to learn about it. But the first thing I think you should add is a type of 'further reading' section to the end of the guide for those who want to learn more, but don't know where to go. Place number one has got to be http://linuxcommand.org/, but maybe something like http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/cli.html could be added too. There are really a wealth of resources to help people learn the command line, and having some of them linked right alongside a good starting place would benefit users quite a bit.

That's just my 2 cents.
    The shell/terminal/command line is NOT an archaic way of doing things!
    Easier does not always mean better

Beans
    Distro

Great post, especially explaining the Sudo RM -RF stuff. Everybody says never to execute it, but I never knew why. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

whenever I press up in my terminal I get the command "lol" and I haven't even entered it...lol
    DO NOT run sudo rm -rf /
    trust me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by clanky View Post
    Very useful, I have just started using ubuntu and have managed to use the terminal by blindly cutting and pasting from guides, but that was really useful in terms of actually starting to have some tiny understanding of what things do.
    I agree here 100%
    I have only been converted for one week ago and am already learning heaps. Who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks?

The only time I went back to M$ was to retrieve some passwords and export emails etc.

Keep up the hints n tips guys, i'll soak them up.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast