Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have all the good Debian based KDE distros gone?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Where have all the good Debian based KDE distros gone?

I have been using Linux off and on starting in 2000. At my college we were forced to use Mandrake 7. I was baptised by fire with understanding dependency hell and learning to install from source. It was then that I learned about Unix (I also worked on some Sun Sparc machines, and Solaris), and tried Red Hat for the first time. That's when I learned about the epic "desktop" war between GNOME and KDE. During my first years with Linux, I learned to lovve the KDE environment, and hate the GNOME one. Asthetics were what did it for me- I hated the flat color schemes of GNOME, and back then some KDE programs I liked, the GNOME equivalent seemed to fall short. I was a matter of personal taste for me, because I never really thoough of either as more superior than the other. Then I left linux for about 5 years.

I picked it up again with Ubuntu. It offered everything I struggled with when introduced to Red Hat and Mandrake. I had package managing that actually worked, and handled dependencies well, and I had the same great kernel and my choice of either GNOME or KDE. I started with Warty (using Gnome) which was painful, and then Hoary was release, and I switched to KDE.

Anyway, long story short- now with KDE4 out and being fixed, where will the good KDE distros come from? Kubuntu has it's dev issues and it's status as a "Community Edition", Linux Mint KDE is not much more than Kubuntu+ with some extras, and less user intervention (i.e. installing codecs, etc). OpenSUSE which I've never used, and what else...Mepis, PClinuxOS, Debian Sid?

I'm a Kubuntu fan- I've stuck with it since the beginning but I guess I just get real burned out with all the chatter about why this distro is better than this one, and why this project is a derivative of another older project because of x y and z, yet it is also unique....I like Kubuntu because I believe in the 6 month release cycle- if one release doesnt work as well as the previous one, I can go back, because it'll be supported long enough to see 2-3 more releases, and by then, there should be inprovement. I think the Ubuntu community is the best for any linux distro I've seen- which sold me on using K/X/Ubuntu. So that's why I think Kubuntu is really the only good KDE distro for me.

What do you all think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Where have all the good Debian based KDE distros gone?

why oh why!
    Sidux,simply mepis all works well!

Beans

+1 for the KDE love! And I also would like to see some KDE4 distros start to pop up all over the place.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Jvaldezjr, I feel for you. Years ago when I started using linux, one of the reasons I absolutely preferred KDE over Gnome was, to be honest, the feel and look. I did not loke either those flat color schemes. I know it is a matter of preference.

Later I came to appreciate the possibilities for configuration and personalization KDE offered and I also liked many applications that are in this desktop environment. For programming, for example I use Kate and the command line. I am currently using Kate 4 on KDE 3.5. Nevertheless, a gtk programming IDE I enjoyed a lot was Anjuta, it is a pity it does not handle Fortran syntax.

Anyway, I am very happy with Kubuntu, haven't really had any issues. I hope in time it will get more attention from developers and get only better.

Now, I am just waiting for KDE4 to get the same functionality and configuration options KDE3 currently has.
    Say NO to software patents in the European Union!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yea...KDE 4 looks amazing. I can't wait. I would be using Gusty now, except I updated to Feisty a few months before Gusty came out because I was impatient, and there weren't a lot of Dapper updates toward that time last year.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Jvaldezjr View Post
    Yea...KDE 4 looks amazing. I can't wait. I would be using Gusty now, except I updated to Feisty a few months before Gusty came out because I was impatient, and there weren't a lot of Dapper updates toward that time last year.
    Agree, I like how KDE4 looks, but I cannot use it until it has the same personalization level version 3 has. I hope that this will be achieved by the release of the Heron. There is not much time left, but the hope is alive.
    Say NO to software patents in the European Union!

Beans
    Hidden!

I dunno about Debian based, but if KDE is your thing I can't think of a single reason not to use OpenSUSE.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

I have generally liked using GNOME and E17, but when I tried Pendrivelinux 2008 (which is really Mandrivia Spring on a flash drive), I was amazed by the KDE interface. I would recommend Mandrivia if you want a good KDE distro.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Jvaldezjr View Post
    Where have all the good Debian based KDE distros gone?
    You will find one here: http://sidux.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Try Mandriva, I have been very happy. There is also, as listed, MEPIS, and OpenSuse, possibly Freespire, but I havnt really used it much.

A very large +1 for kde 4, downloading the iso for kubuntu with it now, it my be still only alpha 1, but it has to be tried.
    "Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning: I can't configure debian" Stoled from Hedge, who got it from the urban dictionary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast