Thread: Compiling source to .deb for the Community

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Compiling source to .deb for the Community

Hello all,

I keep finding wonderful bits of software on the net on Sourceforge and Freshmeat and I think it might be a good thing to compile them - but for inclusion in the repositories instead of just me little old self.
    Something for the Ubuntu Community, blah blah blah...

I have experience of compiling under Fedora Core 3 (nightmare!), Mandrake 9.1, 9.2, 10.1, 10.2, Mandriva 2005LE and last but not least, Ubuntu Hoary and Breezy.
    But I have no idea how to wrap that up into a .deb (or for that matter and .rpm on other distros) for others to install on thier PCs.

Just this weekend I installed the new version of Battle for Wesnoth (1.0rc) on my two Ubuntu PCs because the version on the backports is 0.97 if I remember right - and all the public internet servers need 1.0!
    Grrr!

My wife actually enjoys this program now (and she uses XP almost exclusively.) I would like others to feel the same way, and there are many good games etc. missing on the repositories.

Simply put:

What are the basics involved in compiling source to convert to binaries, to then put in .deb files for others to install?

What do I need? What are the potential pitfalls? How does one do it, so to speak?

I understand I'm going to need a vanilla Breezy system (I'll probably reformat an old partition and STRAIGHT install Breezy when it gets 'frozen' in a couple weeks).
    What else do I need and what do I do?

Beans

Re: Compiling source to .deb for the Community

CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Doesn't look too bad, really. Try compiling on Fedora Core 3! LOL

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Those sound like Universe Packages, which means they'd be handle'd by the MOTU Team. I'd hang out in #ubuntu-motu
    ArchLinux 0.8.0
    Associate Member of the Free Software Foundation