Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Python or Ruby, which one to learn first?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Python or Ruby, which one to learn first?

Which one is best to learn first?
    Python or Ruby?
    -Dan Rippon

Beans

Re: Python or Ruby, which one to learn first?

python has much more third party modules.

wtd is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shidai.liu
    python has much more third party modules.
    Which won't mean a darn thing to someone just picking up the basics.

Beans

You'll get many opinions as a response to this question. Mine is Python for example. But, I suggest you find a small tutorial for each and work through them. Then choose the one that feels more comfortable to you. Most of the opinions here are going to be biased towards the one the opinion holder is used to, as mine is. You won't need to invest much time in order to get the feel for either choice.
    Have fun!
    ~djc
    It's not the security of your machine that worries me. My problem is when you waste my bandwidth because your compromised machine is used to hammer mine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rippon
    Which one is best to learn first?
    Python or Ruby?
    -Dan Rippon
    My answer here would be Python.

But, probably the best way to decide would be to work through a small example in Python and Ruby and see which feels best.

If you have some programming experience in other languages, there's a good discussion on the language differences between Python and Ruby here:
    http://blog.ianbicking.org/ruby-python-power.html

(That discussion probably doesn't directly address the question about which one is easier to learn. But it provides insight on how both languages are designed to solve problems.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Ruby!
    http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

I mean...cartoon foxes even.

More seriously, I agree that you should look at them both a bit to see what you like. I learned Ruby first, then python, and the whole time I was using python, I kep thinking "why is this like this? It doesn't make sense here.." and kept yearning for Ruby syntax and features.

To each their own though. Whichever one you choose, enjoy it.

I first learned Basic, then VB and VB.NET then moved onto Python.

Python is a nice language once you get use to things (syntax that is) if you have never programmed before then i would take a look at Non-Programmers Tutorial For Python its a nice fun intro into python which gives you tasks at the end of some chapters, there is just enough there to keep the intrest and taste for python there while you learn some of the basics. Ive never tryed Ruby as i've found python will do every thing i have ever wanted to know/do. But like the other guys have said take a look at both and see which you like enjoy and understand the most

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

A reason to choose python is that it is the language of choice for most things ubuntu-related.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Python. read Byte of python.
    Im still in OpenSource age but I hope that through the years I will reach for the Free nirvana that is waiting me out there.
    Visit Ubuntu.si forums | My great blog Christoossov pasijon - Slovene version | Passion of the Christooss - English version

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

Ruby is both more pure (as far as OO goes) and idealistic. I don't want to start a flamewar here, but as far as the language goes, Ruby has more going for it than Python. It will be easier to learn as it's more consistent.

Python has more code written for it though. That means more third party libs you can use. It's also probably faster than Ruby, and certainly implemented better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast