Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why was aMSN's last release 1 year ago?

Beans

Why was aMSN's last release 1 year ago?

It's so strange, they have webcam working, and other new features, but they are all in the cvs. WHy don't they release it?

Beans

Re: Why was aMSN's last release 1 year ago?

No one?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

maybe because.. aMSN sucks?

but no, if they don't feel it's ready for release, then it's not ready for release.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Is the cvs still being updated regularly?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lovechild
    maybe because.. aMSN sucks?

but no, if they don't feel it's ready for release, then it's not ready for release.
    Well, it is the only software I've been able to communicate on webcam with the least problems. THat elevates it's quality to me at least.

Ampersand, I don't actually know, although the last update to their news was a while ago---the only time I got it working was with EasyUbuntu, where I don't compile

Beans

OK, I just found out that the aMSN easyubuntu comes with is from sept 7--still more recent than the release on their site (last year). Still strange! Compiling doesn't always work, and Easyubuntu is the first way i've got webcam working

Beans

aMSN is not the only way to get the webcam work under ubuntu, or other distros, or even unix, macosx and doze.. you can try mercury:

http://www.mercury.to

it's java based, and has kinda complex installation (needing JVM for webcam and all), but it has lots of features like webcam, winks, nudges etc, like doze client has)

Beans

Smile Re: Why was aMSN's last release 1 year ago?

My advice, wait for gaim's latest.. here's news from a friendly gaim fork about webcam integration:

from http://gaim-vv.sourceforge.net/
    LATEST NEWS:
    Oct 07, 2005 - Forward potr of gaim-vv 1.2.0 to gaim cvs head is working. I would like to clarify that gaim-vv isn't completely dead, we're working on merging with gaim. There will be no further gaim-vv releases, as code will be added to the main gaim program.

Beans

amsn can also transfer files at a speed I can handle. Gaim just doesn't do that.

Beans

Question Re: Why was aMSN's last release 1 year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by darkoptix
    amsn can also transfer files at a speed I can handle. Gaim just doesn't do that.
    I'm curious. how big is the difference? I don't understand the technical aspect of why one would be slower than the other if they are on the same network protocol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast