Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PACPL for audio transcoding

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: PACPL for audio transcoding

Thanks for the HOWTO, but PAACPL seems to do less than what I can do with sox and lame just as easily.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

dan73 - also, if you are using Amarok it is easier to use PACPL as a plug in for Amarok. If you open Amarok and go to the menu>tools>script manager and open it. You should see a category called general and under general pacx. Click on pacx to highlight it and then on the right side of the dialog window hit run. That should start the script so any time you have a music file loaded in Amarok you right click on the file and a menu comes up and you should have an option to convert in PACPL.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Pacx seems to be very useful but how can I choose the bitrate? For example, when converting from flac to mp3?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by IGITIHI View Post
    Pacx seems to be very useful but how can I choose the bitrate? For example, when converting from flac to mp3?
    Glad to hear you found it useful. It is simple just use --bitrate as part of the command. If you type the following at the prompt you will get a list of all the options.

Code:
    pacpl --longhelp
    the bitrate is --bitrate then whatever value you want.

Enjoy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So, as I understand, I can get only cbr with pacx. Is there a way to get vbr?

Beans

Not sure - let me ask the developer and I will get back to you.

Beans

The developer provided this answer to your question:

"As of 4.0.3, you can turn off all default encoder options via --defopts (see the man page) from there, you can specify whatever options (from the actual encoder) you want by using --eopts. The default however, is VBR."

I hope this helps - if you still have questions, post back.

Beans

Thank you for the thread. Im having troubles with PACPL and hopping for some pointers:
    Im using kubuntu hardy and have install PACPL from source.
    I first run the kubuntu to script as instructed and then compiled and installed. All looked well, BUT there is no KDE integration. Amarok and konqueror action menu is not present.

PACPL runs fine from bash.

brilliant insights?
    -tom

Beans

I should add this to the tutorial and I will eventually. To add them do the following:

Amarok: You need to add PACPL as a script. If you don't still have the source file for PACPL go ahead and download it again. Extract the file. Open the file and go to >plugins>Amarok and you will see a script labeled pacx. Copy this script to home>yourname>.kde>share>apps>amarok (note you have to do "show hidden files" from the view menu to see the .kde folder). Now paste the script into the folder. Open Amarok and go to menu>tools>script manager and you should see pacx listed. Hit run and close out. Restart Amarok. Load a song into the play list, right click on the song and the option to convert with pacpl should be in the menu.

Repeat the same process for konqueror but add it to .kde/share/apps/konqueror folder.

That should work for you but if not post back.

Enjoy

Beans

Thank you, it appears that the install of PACPL is meant to install the plugins, but in /usr space:
    • /usr/share/apps/amarok/scripts/pacx

But I did search around for adding extensions to konqueror and amarok resulting in the plugins also being placed in:
    • /share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus
    • ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok

but still no service menu.
    Last edited by dutler; November 19th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast