Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has the Ubuntu room on IRC fallen off?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Has the Ubuntu room on IRC fallen off?

well, if it's a support channel, and you ask a support question, a support conversation results. It's still a conversation, and there are still way too many of them going on at times to follow anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Problem is I go there to ask a quick question on whether someone likes something or has seen a certain problem I have- and I will ask a very straight forward question - and some guy who doesnt know anything about it will start asking me some ******** questions about some side possible issue- and I will express again that Im asking is A such and such of B but it will go ignored and get bombarded again with BS - to the point I say screw it and hang out and help one or two people if possible then leave - that sucks

A support channel- well there's always a conversation about why use sudo or some other crap that dominates the room and plenty of newbies sit there without help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    A support channel- well there's always a conversation about why use sudo or some other crap that dominates the room and plenty of newbies sit there without help
    Thats why I try to help when I can here in the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

same here - I dont hit that many threads but I generally try to help as long as the person is trying to help themselves too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    same here - I dont hit that many threads but I generally try to help as long as the person is trying to help themselves too
    These forums are a great community, and have singlehandedly stopped me from changed distros every week (even though I might try to install Gentoo on my server soon just so I've tried all the major distros).

The faq is great too, I would it the first link on the main forum page!

Beans

Aye, my university is another one of those that blocks all ports so that the Windows users' computers don't get infected. Stupid Windows security flaws/holes! Taking away my IRC and MMORPG abilities!!

Beans

It's a huge channel.. one of the biggest distro-related channels out there. Usually around 280-300 when I'm online as Quest-Master too.

At least it shows the distro is getting popular, hehe..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

"The only problem with instant gratification is that it's not fast enough!" Nowadays I post things here, maybe one or two other fora, and wait for a response. "Real-time" is a little frenetic as far as I'm concerned for stuff like this...

"Real-time?? It's called life...you should try it some time!" (A former boss, to me...)
    "....I'm a user, not a programmer...."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I just regged #ubuntuforums on freenode if anyone wants to come in. Perhaps with just forum folks it will be less tech supporty and more discussion.

I'll hand out ops to the mods if they come, and we'll see how it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Why'd you have to reg it at freenode?

Does freenode do an ident check? I think that might be what's not getting through.
    $ whatis themeaningoflife
    themeaningoflife: not found

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast