Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Beans

Re: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by venom986 View Post
    Has that change to the MCC gone live yet? I didn't see an option when I checked.
    No, mythbuntu-control-centre doesn't know anything about diskless yet. I'll update the link to the documentation now, maybe you want to add your experiences whereever you see fit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/My...Hardy/Diskless

Beans

I'll definately add my experiences once I get a chance to sum them up.

I guess until mythbuntu-control-centre gets updated, its probably easiest to nuke the client image and create a new one?

how does this handle things like remotes or display drivers that are installed on the client itself rather than updated in the chroot?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venom986 View Post
    I guess until mythbuntu-control-centre gets updated, its probably easiest to nuke the client image and create a new one?
    You can just do your changes in the chroot and run ltsp-update-image when you're done, like i described earlier. Redoing the image is easier, but iz'll take more time You'll also not have to worry about updating the initramfs then.

how does this handle things like remotes or display drivers that are installed on the client itself rather than updated in the chroot?
    I'd like to make a distinction between changing settings and installing new software.

* If you change a setting on the client, it'l be written to the overlay directory (/var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay/$key on the server). If you reboot the client, it'll still be available.

* The same applies when you install new software. However, it's not recommended to do that. When you use apt-get to install new software, the list of installed packages etc on your system is updated. Under the hood, this is done by aufs by copying the file that is to be modifed into the overlay directory where any changes are applied.
    The client now has its own copy of the package list. But what's going to happen if you install new packages into the chroot and ltsp-update-image afterwards? The files provided by those packages will most likely be available to the client (unless they were created before on the client), but apt-get on the client doesn't know that there are new packages installed.

So, the big problem here is that the more changes you make, the more your client will become out of sync with your original squashfs. It's not a big problem during normal operation, but it should be kept in mind. Imagine someone upgrades their systems to the next Ubuntu release and apt-get on the client still thinks it's on the last version. But you can also run into problems when an applications changes their config file format and the client still has a deprecated version.

You can easily remove offending files in /var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay/$key, though.

The only case I can think of where you should install software on the client is software like nvidia-glx, eg when you have clients with different generations of Nvidia cards and each client needs their own version of nvidia-glx.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laga View Post
    I'd like to make a distinction between changing settings and installing new software.

* If you change a setting on the client, it'l be written to the overlay directory (/var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay/$key on the server). If you reboot the client, it'll still be available.

* The same applies when you install new software. However, it's not recommended to do that. When you use apt-get to install new software, the list of installed packages etc on your system is updated. Under the hood, this is done by aufs by copying the file that is to be modifed into the overlay directory where any changes are applied.
    The client now has its own copy of the package list. But what's going to happen if you install new packages into the chroot and ltsp-update-image afterwards? The files provided by those packages will most likely be available to the client (unless they were created before on the client), but apt-get on the client doesn't know that there are new packages installed.

So, the big problem here is that the more changes you make, the more your client will become out of sync with your original squashfs. It's not a big problem during normal operation, but it should be kept in mind. Imagine someone upgrades their systems to the next Ubuntu release and apt-get on the client still thinks it's on the last version. But you can also run into problems when an applications changes their config file format and the client still has a deprecated version.

You can easily remove offending files in /var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay/$key, though.

The only case I can think of where you should install software on the client is software like nvidia-glx, eg when you have clients with different generations of Nvidia cards and each client needs their own version of nvidia-glx.
    Plus, I suppose, if you do the updates in the chroot then you only have to do them once and they become available to all your diskless clients.

I look forward to getting back to setting this up tomorrow.

Beans

so, i can get things to boot on the client. however, i've yet to convince my calls to aptitude upgrade in the chroot to actually apply kernel updates. this means when i loaded into my client I had to install them from there.

next issue, in many cases, when using mythbuntu control center to enable various options, I get an error regarding installArchives()

Beans

Why doesn't upgrading in the chroot work? Error message?

Can you also provide the error messages from mythbuntu-control-centre?

Btw, there are some pending updates which will disable networkmanager and the update-notifier completely, thanks for reminding me about that

Beans

aptitude upgrade simply reported the kernel updates as held back for some reason

the errors from mythbuntu-conrol-centre center around it trying to run configure on various mythtv plugins. it was popping up an error with instalArchives() in the box.

I seem to be having issues with getting nvidia restricted drivers to work. i end p in Low Graphics Mode when I reboot the client. I think this may be a mismatch between kernel version and restricted drivers package version though.

I ended up going into chroot and into aptitude's ncurses gui to force the kernel updates. have just rebooted again.

the other issue i'm having (and haven't confirmed yet if its been fixed by upgrading the kernel versions) is that I can't nfs mount my media shares off the server. I get an unkown filesystem type message from mount.

Beans

the mounting problem seems to be that /sbin/mount.* don't exist on the client.

chrooting in and running aptitude install portmap nfs-common to try to fix that aspect of things.

oh, and the errors surrounding the mythplugins exist when doing that too.

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythflix:
    mythflix depends on mythtv-frontend (>= 0.20-0.0); however:
    Package mythtv-frontend is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing mythflix (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythvideo:
    mythvideo depends on mythtv-frontend (>= 0.20-0.0); however:
    dpkg: error processing mythvideo (--configure):
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mythbrowser:
    mythbrowser depends on mythtv-frontend (>= 0.20-0.0); however:
    dpkg: error processing mythbrowser (--configure):
    that's just an excerpt
    Last edited by venom986; March 3rd, 2008 at 06:56 PM.

Beans

okay, after having installed portmap and nfs-common in the chroot and updated my image, i booted back into the client.

my shares mount but i get:
    sudo mount 192.168.1.5:/media/sda /media/sda
    Can't set permissions on mtab: Operation not permitted
    Last edited by venom986; March 3rd, 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Beans

Okay, so it appears that /etc/fstab resets on every reboot? how do set up my nfs mounts in a persistent way?

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast