Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Beans

Re: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by Calash View Post
    This is probably an obvious question,

I am running 0.21 on Feisty 7.10. Can I follow the instructions to install this or do I need to upgrade to 8.04?
    Good question. It's basically possible if you backport a few packages from hardy: ltsp, debootstrap and the squashfs utils (I don't remember the exact name). The client itself can only use Hardy however so you'll have to add
    Code:
    --dist hardy
    to your ltsp-build-client line.

Take care if you're already using the squashfs utils somewhere. It's possible that you won't be able to open images generated with the backported squashfs-utils with your current kernel. Just a heads-up; it doesn't matter for mythbuntu-diskless.

I'm running (and developing) mythbuntu-diskless on my Gutsy box so it's certainly possible

Beans

hmm. it appears that since I had previously installed it, my attempt to grab the latest this morning with apt-get install mythbuntu-diskless-standalone failed to get all the latest stuff. Just closed down mythfrontend on the primary backend server and had notices about new packages, inlcuding the new diskless.

installing it now, and will retry the dpkg-reconfigure. I won't be able to try getting the diskless frontend working again until monday though.

I presume I will have to run that update script to update the compressed filesystem that the client will be booting into?

Beans

Okay, I have the correct export now. should get back to you monday on success of booting the client.

what needs to be done to keep the client environment updated as package updates become availalbe? do i have to chroot in periodically to run the updates?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have been thinking it over and I think I will do the full distro upgrade to Hardy, then try it out. I already got 0.21 running fine, so it will mostly just be background upgrades.

Thanks for the info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by venom986 View Post
    what needs to be done to keep the client environment updated as package updates become availalbe? do i have to chroot in periodically to run the updates?
    Yes. Mythbuntu-control-centre will have a button to start synaptic inside the chroot, though.

It's *necessary* that you upgrade your chroot after installing the new packages.

After upgrading, run
    Code:
    update-initramfs -k all -c
    inside the chroot to make the initramfs pick up the new scripts. Afterwards, run
    Code:
    sudo ltsp-update-kernels
    outside the chroot.
    Or just start over

Beans

are you talking about running mythbuntu control center from the client machine?

Also, I was going to suggest you add those instructions for synching updates the chroot to your documentation; but when I went to check if you already mention it I found that the site you linked to for documentation is down.
    Last edited by venom986; March 2nd, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Beans

Well, here's a brief update. I had to reboot my frontend and didn't cancel out of the PXE boot quick enough; so, it successfully booted over the network

However,

1) It booted to a login prompt rather than mythfrontend
    2) When I logged in on it I had a desktop and it didn't launch mythfrontend
    3) The network manager applet thought it didn't have an IP address. considering this was a successful NETboot, that seems erroneous

Beans

Well, here's a brief update. I had to reboot my frontend and didn't cancel out of the PXE boot quick enough; so, it successfully booted over the network
    Great

1) It booted to a login prompt rather than mythfrontend
    2) When I logged in on it I had a desktop and it didn't launch mythfrontend
    Yes, that's intentional. Just launch mythbuntu-control-centre and enable auto-login there.
    Maybe automatic login should be enabled, though. If there's an easy way to do that while building the chroot, I might just add it. Until just now, I hadn't realized that it's a problem

3) The network manager applet thought it didn't have an IP address. considering this was a successful NETboot, that seems erroneous
    Yes, that's a problem. We're currently telling HAL to ignore all network devices. Before we did that, HAL/network-manager/something else would reconfigure the network device and that's really nasty if you do NETboot Maybe we should just disable Network-Manager?

Can you please test if the power button works on your diskless frontend?

Beans

are you talking about running mythbuntu control center from the client machine?
    You can run mythbuntu-control-centre on the client, but it's not recommended to install any packages there. I was talking about a change to MCC where you can update the chroot on the host system.

Also, I was going to suggest you add those instructions for synching updates the chroot to your documentation; but when I went to check if you already mention it I found that the site you linked to for documentation is down.
    I'll put the whole documentation in the Wiki instead.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by laga View Post
    You can run mythbuntu-control-centre on the client, but it's not recommended to install any packages there. I was talking about a change to MCC where you can update the chroot on the host system.
    Has that change to the MCC gone live yet? I didn't see an option when I checked. Then again, I think my Primary Backend is still waiting for a reboot after the last update and I've had recordings going that i didn't want to interrupt so haven't rebooted yet.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast