Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

I assumed that MCC would do all the copying/setup for diskless clients but it doesn't appear that it does yet. I also have a problem with stability running 8.04 - it seems to hang regularly and the display gets hashed. Not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. I think I'll have to abandon this effort until there is a more stable release or I can try it on different hardware.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finlay648 View Post
    I assumed that MCC would do all the copying/setup for diskless clients but it doesn't appear that it does yet.
    Well, it's supposed to do that

Maybe you can do me a favor and run the following command:
    Code:
    MCC_DEBUG="true" sudo -E /usr/share/mythbuntu-control-centre/bin/mythbuntu-control-centre
    in a terminal. That'll produce lots of debugging output which you can then copy into a pastebin or a text file and post here. Make sure that the scroll buffer in your terminal is large enough.. or just redirect to a file by adding "2>&1 > mylogfile.txt" to the above command.

Then we can figure out what's going wrong
    Please read 'How to get help' before asking a question about Mythbuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

The system being used for the tests has become unstable and hard to get test results from. I did a complete reinstall and tried setting up the diskless environment. This time it seemed to work though the system kept crashing and I had to start over with the image builds. But the /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp directory was populated and I was able to boot a diskless client. I can only suppose that because of the system instability the previous install was defective and the diskless setup attempt was twarted by that. Thanks for your help and I'll try again after I replace the motherboard.

Beans

This project is great! However I was having problems right out of the gate with my Asus P5KL-VM (Onboard NIC Attansic L1)

So here is how I got mine fixed.

To get a Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet nic card to work:

On the server:

>sudo mount -o bind /proc /opt/ltsp/i386/proc/
    >sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386

>sudo vi /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

add "atl1"

>sudo update-initramfs -u

>sudo vi /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

Add the following two lines between the dashes:
    -----------

#add "# PCI device 0x1969:0x1048 (atl1)"
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTRS{address}=="00:1e:8c:7d:59:e8", NAME="eth0"

-------------

Replacing the appropriate MAC address with your own. To find your MAC address look at your DHCP log.

>exit
    >sudo umount /opt/ltsp/i386/proc/
    >sudo ltsp-update-image

That worked for me. Of course you can replace atl1 with your own NIC driver that isn't booting at startup.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by encom; April 19th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Beans

Hello,

I'm trying to boot the client, and it fails.
    The PXE image gets loaded, And I see the mythbuntu splash screen, but then it stops on a black screen with a blinking cursor.
    If I switch to console 1 (ctrl-alt-f1), a message is repeated numurous times:
    Code:
    Error : connect :  connection refused
    (edit)
    It happens just after the following line :
    Code:
    filename:/ltsp/i386/nbi.img
    (/edit)

It happens before any nfs mount, because after some time the messages stop, and only then can I see this message on the server :
    Apr 21 11:50:28 tramp mountd[15088]: authenticated mount request from 192.168.1.140:804 for /var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay (/var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay)

Then on the client, a CLI starts (busy box ?) :
    Code:
    (initramfs)
    can someone help ?
    thanks a lot, and thanks to the contributors for their hard work !!
    Last edited by sym_zo; April 21st, 2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more info

Beans

Oops, I solved my problem.

The server needed a restart for nbd-server to work.

It works now ! youhou

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by laga View Post
    Well, it's supposed to do that

Maybe you can do me a favor and run the following command:
    Code:
    MCC_DEBUG="true" sudo -E /usr/share/mythbuntu-control-centre/bin/mythbuntu-control-centre
    in a terminal. That'll produce lots of debugging output which you can then copy into a pastebin or a text file and post here. Make sure that the scroll buffer in your terminal is large enough.. or just redirect to a file by adding "2>&1 > mylogfile.txt" to the above command.

Then we can figure out what's going wrong
    New MB installed and new 8.04 AMD install. Original problem has reoccurred but this time I have the log file attached as a bz2.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Hi

I am in the throws of installing the diskless client. My first attempt using the MCC failed when several files could not be found by apt. I then succeeded by following the MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless document. Unfortunately, when I try to boot the client it gets as far as the TFTP phase and stalls - I guess it cannot connect to the TFTP server. I have checked the dhcp configuration and also inetd.conf and all appears OK. I have successfully used PXE on the client previously so I am sure it is not the problem. Any ideas ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lowman View Post
    I then succeeded by following the MythTV/Install/Hardy/Diskless document.
    Did you download the plugin? Because that's not necessary any more

What files could not be found? When? Please be more specific.

Unfortunately, when I try to boot the client it gets as far as the TFTP phase and stalls - I guess it cannot connect to the TFTP server. I have checked the dhcp configuration and also inetd.conf and all appears OK. I have successfully used PXE on the client previously so I am sure it is not the problem. Any ideas ?
    Is the tftp server listed in /etc/inetd.conf? Is there anything interesting in /var/log/daemon.log?
    Last edited by laga; April 22nd, 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by finlay648 View Post
    New MB installed and new 8.04 AMD install. Original problem has reoccurred but this time I have the log file attached as a bz2.

Hope this helps.
    Hi,

thanks for the log files. I can't reproduce your problem here. Can you show me your /etc/apt/sources.list file? Also, did you update your Mythbuntu after installing?

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast