Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Beans

[8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Hello,

Mythbuntu 8.04 will make it very easy to add diskless frontends to your existing setup.

There are several reasons why you'd want diskless frontends:
    * No hard disk: your frontend is cheaper and quieter
    * Setup time: you don't have to install Mythbuntu on all your frontends. Instead, you just create one image on the server which is used by all diskless frontends.
    * Quickly turn existing (windows) computers into MythTV frontends without having to install Mythbuntu or load the live disk.

The second version of the mythbuntu-diskless packages was uploaded last night and they're finally stable enough to have them tested by a wider audience.

If you're interested in testing it, I have put together some documentation. It's necessary that you're at least running mythbuntu-diskless version 0.2-0ubuntu1.

Keep in mind that it's a bit rough, especially regarding the documentation . If you encounter any problems or if you have trouble understanding the documentation, please post here so we can get it fixed!

Regards,

Michael

update #1: There seems to be some confusion whether mythbuntu-diskless uses fat clients or thin clients.
    With thin clients, all applications are run on the server and the thin client just displays the graphical parts. For MythTV, this doesn't make much sense because transferring uncompressed video over your network will use a lot of bandwidth.
    That's why we're using a fat client approach: everything is running locally on the client. You should be able to access your optical drives, hard disks and capture cards just like with a regular Mythbuntu install. (Keep in mind that mythtv-backend isn't automatically installed, though.)

update #2: the documentation now resides in the wiki. Please help to improve it! https://help.ubuntu.com/community/My...Hardy/Diskless
    Last edited by laga; March 2nd, 2008 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add link to wiki

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: [8.04] Mythbuntu-diskless: Testers wanted!

Thanks any help is appreciated. I started down the usb disk and actually looked like it was saving everything to that location including the img. The usb was a freebie a vendor had given up and it was on 64mg and so slow. Anyway got impatient and removed and did look at the content. I had no tv/video card in that laptop. I have since ordered on from ebay to use. I think this weekend I will get a bigger usb stick and try it again when the card comes in. In the

Beans

rickyble,

you're probably in the wrong thread here. This is exclusively for testing/bug reports for mythbuntu-diskless. If you're having issues with the live disk, I'm sure someone can answer in your original thread (eg if you can come up with a reproduceable test case).

Beans

holy crap, ignore me, ltsp not lstp! yeesh.
    Last edited by venom986; February 29th, 2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: user error

Beans

Ok, this was pretty quick and easy up to this point. I followed your docs, quickly edited the /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf to match my network topology and the fact that i am using amd64, not i386.

I'm now at the point where the client successfully negotiates and boots over PXE, and I get the Mythbuntu logo and progress bar. However, the progress bar does its little dance back and forth for a bit and then freezes. This seems to happen every time (have tried 3 times). I am now trying to see if there is any log output to direct me to what the problem is.

Beans

Feb 29 10:24:08 cerebro mountd[22435]: refused mount request from 192.168.1.3 for /var/cache/mythbuntu-diskless/overlay/ (/): not exported
    Looks like the culprit. Did I miss instructions on exportin the overlay directory?

Beans

Yes, you probably missed the dpkg-reconfigure step. If you didn't, can you show me your /etc/exports (and the output of exportfs as wel)?

Beans

I ran dpkg-reconfigure, but received no prompts.
    /etc/exports
    /home/storm/var 192.168.1.3(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_che ck)
    /media/sda 192.168.1.1/24(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
    /media/md0 192.168.1.1/24(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
    /media/md1 192.168.1.1/24(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
    /media/md2 192.168.1.1/24(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
    exportfs
    /home/storm/var
    /media/sda 192.168.1.1/24
    /media/md0 192.168.1.1/24
    /media/md1 192.168.1.1/24
    /media/md2 192.168.1.1/24

Beans

Odd.

What version of mythbuntu-diskless-server do you have? 0.2* is the minimum required version.

If the version is correct, could you please try
    Code:
     sudo dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low mythbuntu-diskless-server
    ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This is probably an obvious question,

I am running 0.21 on Feisty 7.10. Can I follow the instructions to install this or do I need to upgrade to 8.04?

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast