Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Linux Hate Solo FPS?

Beans

Does Linux Hate Solo FPS?

One reason I can't totally go Ubuntu is Solo FPS games.

I like Offline FPS like Max Payne,Splinter Cell,Doom 3,Far Cry.etc....

All I see is Online games. Doesn't linux community see a need? Or am I just a minority expecting to much?

I mean wouldn't a game be more versatile and valuable with Solo Missions for those times you don't want to hook up to the internet?

Or for people in rural and third world situations with limited or no high-speed connections? Which I have High-Speed but I was thinking of other's.

Even in the window world there seems to be a declining trend to Solo games. But their reasoning is to make money charging for the Online play.

I am sorry call me a hermit or anti-social but I Don't Want to hook up with other's just to play a game.

And I have been gone from ubuntu for about 3-4 month's so if something that fits my preference then please leave links or name of new game.

Thanks any feedback is helpful to update my perceptions of the world around me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Does Linux Hate Solo FPS?

I too enjoy just killing bots for a few minutes here and there as a distraction, but online multiplayer seems to be the trend across the board unfortunately.
    Final Cut Pro user

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Doom3 is for Linux and has got solo play, hasn't it ?

Beans

Solo games need story and more levels + (balanced) ai => more job to make => harder for a community driven project to succeed.
    Donation links
    Free hardware
    Petition for free drivers
    If every forum member donated $1 to FSF, they would almost double their income

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I also miss good solo FPS games. I guess you've already tried Quake 4? If not, it works perfectly under Ubuntu! Also, you can play UnrealTournament 2004 (2007 has not yet been released for Linux).
    Also, Penumbra Ouverture is a nice single player game, but it's more like a horror game, than action. The homepage is here

There is also Cold War

As far as free games are concerned, there aren't many single player FPS. Sauerbraten has single player, but it's not very good.

If someone knows more single player FPS games (preferably free), I'm very interested!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Just a thought:
    Multiplayer games (such as a lot of the popular FPS-games out there) usually need a server. Often people prefer GNU/Linux-servers, since they are fast, stable etc., and therefore the server-version gets ported to GNU/Linux.

When the server is ported, I belive that the rest is a bit easier to port, too. At least compared to porting the whole game as it is.

I'm not sure of this, since I'm not a game-programmer, but that could perhaps be a reason?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by BorisK View Post
    Doom3 is for Linux and has got solo play, hasn't it ?
    Doom3 was created for Windows, but since it is OpenGL it works with Linux very well.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I agree with the OP. Multi-player gaming seems to be the trend, and I want more single player games. For one reason, when I try out a new game, I don't want to be thrown into an arena with a bunch of pros and get my butt kicked, never having the chance to really learn how to get good.

For another reason, there is no substance to them. They are all the same. You get thrown into some custom arena with new scenery and weapons, but the goal is always find the other guys and kill them. That's all there is to it no matter what the name of the game is or what the scenery looks like.

I like being able to have an original story and goal. And for things to evolve and for there to be simple puzzles to solve along the way. These are things that are sadly lacking in the modern trend in Linux gaming.

But like others have said, it's a lot harder to create a single player FPS than it is another mindless arena where you don't have to come up with any new ideas. I wish someone would take it on themselves to go ahead and put the extra effort in a 'kick A' single player game.

Edit:
    Even though it is arena style, World of Padman is the most original idea I have seen. And it can be played off-line against bots. I wish they would complete their single-player mode, though.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; February 28th, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    One reason I can't totally go Ubuntu is Solo FPS games.

I like Offline FPS like Max Payne,Splinter Cell,Doom 3,Far Cry.etc....

All I see is Online games. Doesn't linux community see a need? Or am I just a minority expecting to much?

I mean wouldn't a game be more versatile and valuable with Solo Missions for those times you don't want to hook up to the internet?

Or for people in rural and third world situations with limited or no high-speed connections? Which I have High-Speed but I was thinking of other's.

Even in the window world there seems to be a declining trend to Solo games. But their reasoning is to make money charging for the Online play.

I am sorry call me a hermit or anti-social but I Don't Want to hook up with other's just to play a game.

And I have been gone from ubuntu for about 3-4 month's so if something that fits my preference then please leave links or name of new game.

Thanks any feedback is helpful to update my perceptions of the world around me.
    Hear, hear! I agree with you 100%. Even the few online games I've dabbled with have left me in the cold. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come in it's own time...

Beans

Glad to see I am not the only one. And I like Splinter Cell series because you decide when it is necessary to kill,evade.interogate and knock out.

And the extra's like rappeling,spitjumps,pipes,etc... Just seems more real when you have choices in achieving your goals.

And I would love to see more Riven-Myst type games that may take you a long time to solve.

This trend of FPS (Frag everything in sight at warp speed) maybe fine for the ADD young crowd but is shallow and unrewarding for me in many ways.

I am sadden by the attitude I see that most of the games have little depth and breath to them anymore.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast