Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Operating systems used in movies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Operating systems used in movies

I was wondering if anyone else watches movies and wonders what operating system these people are supposedly using. Mission Impossible is a great example. The hackers in these movies are using some monochromatic OS that looks more like UT2003 than any os i've ever seen. I think i've looked at all the linux desktop and none look like that. Has anyone else wondered about those OS's or tried to create the desktop? I'd love to see screenshots of these computers if anyone has them or see how big of a list of movies we can make with a fictional operating system.
    Last edited by empthollow; February 28th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thumbs down Re: Operating systems used in movies

I thinks it's called HollywoodOS
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans

Re: Operating systems used in movies

It depends.
    I have seen BSD used in movies (see die hard) linux, windows but the most popular is mac it seems.
    OSX seems to be the primary one in most movies I see, but you know its for promotion.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

A while back, someone posted a still from an episode of 24. Part of a KDE desktop was very clearly visible. I'm not going to track down the thread, but it's there somewhere for whoever wants to look.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

It cracks me up when I see the suits on the couch on the Fox News morning show fiddling with a Mac, or as product placement in the show House, M.D. I havent watched much television at all in the last five years or so, but now whenever I even glance at the thing its a Mac attack.
    "A fool works hard to earn his paycheck, but a wise man works hard so he doesn't need one."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'd love to know what they used in Hackers. lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    A while back, someone posted a still from an episode of 24. Part of a KDE desktop was very clearly visible. I'm not going to track down the thread, but it's there somewhere for whoever wants to look.
    Someone posted this in the Ubuntu-uk mailing list a few days ago ("Ubuntu Spotting" thread).

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...hment-0001.jpg
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans

In Jurassic Park there is a "Unix" system.

In Independence Day, there is an OS which magically is able to be compatible with an alien mother ship, hardware and software.

(I wonder if the aliens used USB and used ELF executables?)

Beans

Did anyone see the (terrible) pilot of knightrider 2008? They had something flaky going on on the terminals of the truc... erm, plane.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast