Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for a good python beginners guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: looking for a good python beginners guide

Good question, thanks for the idea. I will look at the online manual.
    Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life. - Sophia Loren

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    @ all others: repeating partial suggestions, without mentioning FAQ and threads where we did it many times before, just promotes your own little biases, instead of getting OP more balanced picture from previous discussion.
    I'm a bit confused as to what you mean here. Our own little biases?

I really don't have a problem with someone who's new to a programming a language asking for advice on getting started in a forum about programming questions in a community they feel comfortable in.

I mean, we could all just say JFGI and be done with it, but that's a bit dickish. Would you object to most of the threads on this board? Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by kaens View Post
    I really don't have a problem with someone who's new to a programming a language asking for advice on getting started in a forum about programming questions in a community they feel comfortable in.
    I don't have problem with beginners asking questions.

I do have problems with people answering FAQs without linking to our already created FAQs.

Mentioning FAQs has multiple benefits:
    - gives beginner more and better information,
    - adds discussion of more details and comparisons, so OP can make more informed decision what is good for him/her, taking into accounts other circumstances mentioned in FAQ/discussion, but not in OP question
    - trains OP to look at FAQs next time, hopefully avoiding next FAQ
    - improves signal to noise ratio, so people can focus on non-FAQ questions
    - gives experts motivation to improve FAQs to make them even better
    - builds community's "knowledge base", so even if experts are busy or left to other projects, knowledge stays in FAQ and is used.

If people who care about forum will not try to make it better and more useful to members, who will?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    I don't have problem with beginners asking questions.

I do have problems with people answering FAQs without linking to our already created FAQs.
    So why not link the OP to the FAQs yourself then instead of complaining about people not doing so?

Mentioning FAQs has multiple benefits:
    - gives beginner more and better information,
    Dependent on the FAQ.

- adds discussion of more details and comparisons, so OP can make more informed decision what is good for him/her, taking into accounts other circumstances mentioned in FAQ/discussion, but not in OP question
    Dependent on the FAQ.

- trains OP to look at FAQs next time, hopefully avoiding next FAQ
    - improves signal to noise ratio, so people can focus on non-FAQ questions
    True.

- gives experts motivation to improve FAQs to make them even better
    - builds community's "knowledge base", so even if experts are busy or left to other projects, knowledge stays in FAQ and is used.
    I'm not really sure about these.

If people who care about forum will not try to make it better and more useful to members, who will?
    I honestly just don't see how someone asking a question about getting started in a specific language makes the forum worse, but I do understand that this is one of those things that really bothers some people. (And it does get annoying if there's a really high amount of noise . . . and I haven't been around here long enough to know how much noise there normally is, so I guess I'll just shut up.)

Anyhow with that said, here OP, here's a collection of links with exactly one link specific to python in it although it is a very good one

Beans

I honestly just don't see how someone asking a question about getting started in a specific language makes the forum worse, but I do understand that this is one of those things that really bothers some people. (And it does get annoying if there's a really high amount of noise . . . and I haven't been around here long enough to know how much noise there normally is, so I guess I'll just shut up.)

Anyhow with that said, here OP, here's a collection of links with exactly one link specific to python in it although it is a very good one
    I think pmasiars good point was that the FAQ was built (and is maintained) by the whole community, and is better than random posts.

(Note: Neither pmasiar nor I gave any actually advice in this thread, because it is in the sticky)

The problem with the request is not the question itself, but the number of questions that cumulate over time. If someone wants to know how to compile C programs and makes a post on it, the answers are dependant on who is online at the moment and has time, but the FAQ links to two very good threads on compiling and using C programs.

The FAQ has links to my wiki, a thread with information, and a Python wiki. As far as I know, all except that book recommendation (and there is a book recommendation thread linked to in the FAQ) are in those resources already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

So why not link the OP to the FAQs yourself then instead of complaining about people not doing so?
    1) I said "read forum's FAQ". It is faster than creating the link, and more informative: next time, OP can find FAQ before posting.

2) because my post was 10th in thread, and 9 people before me either did not know about FAQ, ignore FAQ, or thought that their partial response is better than full FAQ.

Maybe I was too grumpy at that time? Who knows, people write a lot of crappy advice at the forums. Sorry don't feel like I am picking on you. All is cool. OP is happy.

Of course it depends how good FAQ is. So if FAQ is not up to your standard, why not suggest how to improve it? If it is up to your standard, why not recommend it? I just don't see what is your argument against recommending FAQ.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HuBaghdadi View Post
    Beginning Python: From Novice to Professional
    This book is really an easy read and useful.
    +1 I can recommend this one. I learnt so much in an afternoon yesterday. It's generally an easy read with lots of simple examples for you to get the grasp of a lot.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

FAQs are great and all. I found several in my google searching prior to this post. Generally I found that they made a lot of suggestions for where to start. I was unsure which guide to pick. I just wanted a personal recommendation from someone else who had been in a similar situation. I know FAQs probably contain those but it just seemed less personal. If people had replied here with nothing more then links to this communities FAQ then I would have been a little peeved.

Sometimes making your own post is just more helpful. Its the difference between "Here is a list of 20 great python guides" and "I personally used this one resource and found it very helpful". I prefer the latter.

Regardless I am still working my way though that From Novice to Professional book. Its great so far. It explains all the details clearly so I can understand what it is that I'm coding. Thats more then I can say for the few online guides I stumbled across before I posted here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12