Thread: Help me cut out a few modules

Beans

Help me cut out a few modules

I know there is no way I need all of these but the problem is, I only know what a handful of them are full. Is there a guide that lists modules?

MODULES=(iwl3945 acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_powersave sky2 snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore sony_laptop)

Also, what is the netfs do?

Re: Help me cut out a few modules

The best module help I usually found was in the kernel configuration.

Did that come up from the installation procedure, or from hwdetect --show-modules?
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

You lost me there. What I posted was just from my /etc/rc.conf. I just want to know what each does. Is there a benefit to compiling them into the kernel, not as a module because the kernel just got updated so I have to do that anyways.

Beans

From the ones you posted:

iwl3945: wifi, I assume
    sky2: ethernet
    acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_powersave: powersave stuff
    snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore: your soundcard
    sony_laptop: your laptop special keys and such.

In other words -- all of them are necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    You lost me there. What I posted was just from my /etc/rc.conf. I just want to know what each does. Is there a benefit to compiling them into the kernel, not as a module because the kernel just got updated so I have to do that anyways.
    Sorry. If you recompile a kernel there are help pages that describe the module and the equipment it applies to. It's strange, but I'm having a hard time finding that same information with Google.

I usually compiled mine into the kernel to avoid loading them at the start, but that's just me.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

You're not autoloading so all of them are required even if one or more are dependent modules.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    I know there is no way I need all of these but the problem is, I only know what a handful of them are full. Is there a guide that lists modules?

MODULES=(iwl3945 acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_powersave sky2 snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore sony_laptop)

Also, what is the netfs do?
    Those modules are put there during installation, from the results of hwdetect probing your machine. If MOD_AUTLOAD="yes", then you could actually get rid of all of them, and they will be automatically loaded at bootup anyway.
    If hwdetect failed to detect a piece of hardware during installation, you may manually add the appropriate module to the MODULES= line.
    Netfs is for file manipulation over a network. I personally don't use it.
    ..and the writing's on the wall,
    but the walls have all come down,
    if you can't see past the truth,
    I love to let you down..