Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu? No more.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu? No more.

Quote Originally Posted by ripfox View Post
    Pardon the ignorance...what is Arch built on?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So do I want the "core" or "ftp" iso?
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

anyone?
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans

So do I want the "core" or "ftp" iso?
    Either will be fine -- if you choose the FTP iso keep in mind that some people have reported an issue with it... during the FTP install, apparently, the /tmp folder is created with incorrect permissions so you might have to correct it manually before installing X and a desktop environment (the correct permissions are "1777").

If you connect to the internet using wifi then it's probably better to go with the core iso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Does the core iso include a graphical desktop environment (X)?

Is it KDE, Gnome, XFCE?

Just curious...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have installed X,Kdemod etc from scratch via ftp,no bloats hence !

I have my installation via ftp method.it is easy although 3 outstanding bugs exists:
    my post here:
    Hey!Nobody dare to try Archlinux?2 days on archlinux now!apart from 3 minor bugs which I fixed on my install,archlinux with kdemod(modular kde) is the fastest kde IMHO !enjoying kde in arch!way better than suse experience!
    guess what?I am booting more into my arch install rather than the good ol` Debian Sid these days!
    BTW,kdemod,the modular kde is the answer for the default kde install which installs everything hence called as bloat!
    Works perfect for me!Oh!and arch linux may need some experienced linux user to try,not n00b's!esp pacman(I liked it ),repo management etc.

for those who are aspiring for archlinux installation/for old archlinux users:
    the three bugs I had on default ftp install were:
    1.the /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist the setup server line is pucked up after installation.
    the last line was like this:
    Code:
    # Setup-Entry
    Server = ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/mirrorlist/os/i686
    which I edited correctly to:
    Code:
    # Setup-Entry
    Server = ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/$repo/os/i686
    2.the hal mounting trouble which needs adding of a new file :/etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi
    with contents:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<!-- 
      Some examples how to use hal fdi files for system preferences 
      You can either uncomment the examples here or put them in a seperate .fdi
      file.
    -->
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
    <!-- 
      The following shows how to hint gnome-volume-manager and other programs 
      that honor the storage.automount_enabled_hint to not mount non-removable
      media.
    -->
    <!--
      <device>
        <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
          <match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
            <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    -->

<!-- 
      The following shows how to put sync and noatime on for devices smaller then
      1Gb and off for device larger then that. Note that the sync option can wear
      out device faster then you'd like too. See
      http://readlist.com/lists/vger.kernel.org/linux-kernel/22/111748.html for
      more info.
    --> 
    <!--
      <device> 
        <match key="block.is_volume" bool="true">
          <match key="volume.size" compare_lt="1000000000">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">true</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">true</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">true</merge>
            </match>
          </match>
          <match key="volume.size" compare_ge="1000000000">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">false</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">false</merge>
            </match>
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.removable" bool="true">
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.sync" type="bool">false</merge>
              <merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.noatime" type="bool">false</merge>
            </match>
          </match>
        </match>
      </device>
    --> 
    </deviceinfo>
    default Gnome and hal is way better and it works!
    after adding these lines,everything works again in kde(automounting/umounting of DVD/cd drives,usb drives etc etc)
    3.the default permission for /tmp directory is 755 which u should change to :
    Code:
    chmod 1777 /tmp
    a minor glitch too:
    the dvd/cd drive line was missing in /etc/fstab.I added it manually and that problem also fixed
    Code:
    /dev/dvd  /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide   0     0
    Note that /dev/dvd is a symlink.

So,why not arch guys?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713597

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That makes absolutely no sense to me frankly.

What is the DEFAULT desktop environment?

Beans

Does the core iso include a graphical desktop environment (X)?

Is it KDE, Gnome, XFCE?

Just curious...
    After installation the system boots into console login prompt -- from then on you can set up basic things like networking, users, startup daemons, etc. and then just use the package manager to install X and whatever DE/WM you want.

If you chose to go for it I strongly recommend that you take advantage of the great installation guide which outlines the procedure from installation to getting a basic graphical environment up and running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Meh...sounds like a sticky mess of a pain in the *** really. If I wanted to do that I would just install an Ubuntu server and add on x + blackbox or something. That's fast too.

Beans

Meh...sounds like a sticky mess of a pain in the *** really. If I wanted to do that I would just install an Ubuntu server and add on x + blackbox or something. That's fast too.
    First try took me four hours on a max connection of 160kbs. My last try (4th) took two hours. I'm still learning too. I had to slap HAL around all day today so it would auto mount a cd if I put it into the drive and still let me unmount it without a reboot.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast