Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does everyone spend lots of time fixing Ubuntu?

Beans

Does everyone spend lots of time fixing Ubuntu?

I've been running Ubuntu since 1/1/08. (no windows since then). It seems every time I turn around I am fixing or trying to get something to work. Is this normal? These forums are great but I am spending way too much time here. Not a flame, just wondering.
    Everything is NOT relative.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Does everyone spend lots of time fixing Ubuntu?

It really depends on your hardware and what you consider "fixing" or "tweaking." Do you have some examples?

When I install gutsy, all of my hardware works perfectly out of the box. There are a few minor fixes/tweaks that can be fixed by one or two commands, all of which I have listed in a file that I go right through each time I install. Overall, I spend very little time getting my hardware working, but most of my "fresh install time" is spent tweaking settings, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It takes a fair amount of time to customize your machine and get things working the way you want. When you are satisfied with your setup, you won't need to tinker. However, updates are issued every few days (except for Dapper). Sometimes those updates break things so it's back to the forums.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by n2stc View Post
    I've been running Ubuntu since 1/1/08. (no windows since then). It seems every time I turn around I am fixing or trying to get something to work. Is this normal? These forums are great but I am spending way too much time here. Not a flame, just wondering.
    I'm using Hardy, so I should be spending more time getting things to work...but strangely, I am not. There are a few weird bugs and application errors here and there, but overall, it runs fine.

What are you running into that makes you think you are spending most of the time fixing things?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In answer to your question: no, not everyone spends lots of time fixing Ubuntu.

I certainly don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I only rarely have to go anywhere near the inner workings of my system and fix anything. I still tinker and tweak alot but I don't HAVE to, I just like doing so.

Anyway, the only time I ever need to fiddle is when there is a kernel update and I need to recompile my custom ALSA install, which was a conscious decision and I knew it would need to be done.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    In answer to your question: no, not everyone spends lots of time fixing Ubuntu.

I certainly don't.
    +1

actually is not really much to fix, is kind of boring at some point as for the spending time on forums, i do it but cus i enjoy it not because i really need it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It depends if it's self inflicted or not?! But I find that I'm tweaking as I'm still learning a lot!!! And find it liberating that you can customise so much!

Note to self, backup, and DON'T fiddle!!

Beans

Yea, I think that there is a big difference btween 'tweaking' and fixing tho.

I mean do I spend a lot of time working on my machine, yes, but I certainly wouldn't say it has anything to do with fixing it. Updating, customizing, eye-candy...these are places i spend a lot of time. Fixing, not so much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I agree with most. All my hardware works out of the box, but I tend to spend some time tinkering with various settings to make things just the way I like it.
    Against TCPA | Hell, it's about time! | FORZA FERRARI
    Almost Sober tour 2008

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast